Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
I'm new to these boards. My name is Dee,
And somehow I managed never to see
This awesome site with each helpful thread,
But I fear that I'm in way over my head.

:help2

There are so many smiles jumping and flashing,
I think that perhaps, my computer is crashing.
Where do I begin? The info is vast.
Do I read what's first or the things posted last?

:bewildered

Can anyone share your favorite part?
I'm taking a tally on where to start.
Thanks in advance, all you Blue Book pros.
I'm trying to discover what everyone knows.

:flowers2
#1 - February 03, 2015, 11:58 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Dee, it depends on what you need.  Are you researching agents or publishers? Check out the response time threads or the Market/Agent News board.  Looking for craft chat?  Check out the Writing board. Investigating a new genre or age group?  There are boards on everything from poetry to mysteries to fantasy.  Pick a topic or two, and spend a few hours reading old threads.

And if the smilies are too much, you can turn them off from within your profile pages.

Hope that helps!
#2 - February 03, 2015, 12:09 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Hi Dee! If you are querying or subbing to publishers, you might like the Response Time boards for agent and publisher responses:  https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?board=58.0

If you want querying camaraderie, try the Trenches in Milestones and Roadblocks. The current one is Love Is in the Air. https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?board=9.0

You might also look at the Picture Book and Easy Readers section, or other genre/age group: https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?board=23.0

Poke around! You'll find something interesting.
#3 - February 03, 2015, 12:11 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
That's awesome, Dee. :)

My own personal favorite is the Writing section. I love learning about craft! And also the Book Talk section. I am always looking for new book recommendations. (I also read the Good News section to know what to look out for in the future.) It all kind of depends on what I'm focused on at the moment, though. There's no way to read the entire board every day!
#4 - February 03, 2015, 12:13 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
They're ALL my favorite part!!!

But, what Kell and Marissa said. Where I go and what I read depends on what I need at that particular time to help me along this writing journey. The Blueboards are so chock-full of awesome, getting started can seem very overwhelming, so I'd suggest just pick an area and look around. After a while you'll get more comfortable navigating around!

Welcome!
#5 - February 03, 2015, 12:15 PM

Poster Plus
The very first thing I do is scroll to the bottom and read the "Recent Posts" section. That's how I found your post  :cheesy
Then I do what has been suggested by the others, I look for the section where I can find the information I need.

Enjoy!
#6 - February 03, 2015, 12:37 PM
Beyond Suspicion, YA Mystery, Poisoned Pen Press
http://www.catherineawinnbooks.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
 :wow

Thanks, Marissa, Kell, Olmue, JennaWren, and Cathie. Your comments are all so helpful.

Now all I need to know is how to add more hours to my day!  ::-)

:thankyou
#7 - February 03, 2015, 12:49 PM

Members: