SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

PB Punctuation

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles

I have a PB manuscript  and was hoping somebody could offer advice as to the correct way to format lines which are short and sort of poetic.
I currently have each new line beginning with an uppercase letter. The manuscript seems to call for this. However, it is not strictly correct in terms of punctuating complete sentences.
Don't know if I've described this clearly enough - but thoughts anyone?

Many thanks

Liz
#1 - March 04, 2015, 03:08 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
If it's a poetry manuscript, that should be okay. It was long the standard in poetry to capitalize each new line, and a good number of people still do it. Best of luck!
#2 - March 04, 2015, 05:16 AM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Thank you so much !
#3 - March 04, 2015, 05:24 AM

I think it's a style choice at this point rather than anything written in stone. Personally, I punctuate and capitalize as usual whether it's a rhyming PB or a poem. But I know plenty of poets who capitalize each new line.

You say your manuscript seems to call for the capitalization, so you should feel free to do that.

If you are breaking up the lines based on rhythm (or rhyme) rather than the end of the sentence, that should be obvious to an editor. I really don't think a manuscript would be rejected based on such a thing. An editor will be more interested in the story and if (when!) your manuscript is bought, the editor will ultimately decide on how the end product will look.

#4 - March 04, 2015, 10:41 AM
Young Henry and the Dragon (2011, Shenanigan Books)

Members: