SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Wrote a Hundred Words Today

Discussion started on

No, this isn't designed to compete with I Wrote a Thousand Words Today. I just felt a need to confess my paltry literary production of late, and see whether anyone else is in the same boat.

I've often seen the advice, "Finish the first draft!" and for my current novel, I took it to heart. I finished the first draft of the book—well, 90 per cent of it. I skipped passages that were giving me fits and decided to go back and do them later, rather than let them slow my first draft progress too much.

I'm glad I did that, because I "finished" the draft. Now, however, I have all these problematic places to finish, and they are slow going. Very tough, but very important.

So now I'm only able to brag, "I wrote a hundred words today." Well, actually, it's closer to 150-200 most days. But takes as much effort, if not more, than writing 1000 words does in the fast-flowing places.

Can anyone relate to this?

Thanks,
Gatz
#1 - March 09, 2015, 11:00 AM
SurfYourOwnMind.com, children's creativity blog currently in development.

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Lol. Yes. I tried pushing ahead, too, and while I have enough words, the thing has derailed and I have to figure out how, and well, probably rewrite whole swathes. But I'm having a really hard time seeing what I need to do, so yes, I'm in the whee! 100 words! camp.  :sigh
#2 - March 09, 2015, 11:13 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I wrote zero words, so you beat me! All writing moves you forward.

And for those of us who write PBs, 100 words is a far better goal than 1000! Any PB writer who writes a thousand words a day in getting himself into trouble.
#3 - March 09, 2015, 11:21 AM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Members: