SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Submission problem

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles

Almost 2 weeks ago I submitted to an agent. This is an agent i have submitted to once before and at that time received an automated response to confirm receipt of submission. However this time I did not receive any confirmation.
I read that I should submit a second time  - but still received no confirmation email.
Not sure what to do now. Website says quite strongly not to phone. And obviously I'm worried that if I send an email query about it that I will be completely annoying this agent.
Yet. at the same time if I do nothing I have no idea if the agent got the submission !

Any advice anyone?
#1 - March 16, 2015, 07:11 AM

Any chance your SPAM filter caught the automated response? I.e. is it in your junk folder? (Just because it wasn't junked last time doesn't mean it won't be this time)

Has anyone else mentioned similar issues with the agent here, or elsewhere (e.g. query tracker)?
#2 - March 16, 2015, 07:27 AM

Remove any notation that indicates a link to a website. Spam filters pick these up.

ei indicate your website as      www dot website dot server

Ree
#3 - March 16, 2015, 07:41 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I know of one agent whose e-mail filters out addresses it's received from before. I'm pretty sure it was Brenda Bowen.
#4 - March 16, 2015, 08:04 AM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
ELIZABETH, there's not much more you can do. The agent may respond or not, and you'll never really know.  I advise assuming the agent got it and just keep querying as usual. Even if the agent seems like your perfect fit, while querying, I found it better not to fixate too much on any one agent. Many fish in the sea! The perfect fit is someone who loves YOUR book, not necessarily the one whose existing clients or online presence is one that you most admire.

:clover

DEBBIE, do you mean that agent's email does not send an automated response to those who have sent emails before? I think that's what you mean, but at first I read it that the agent auto-deleted emails from those who have submitted before.
#5 - March 16, 2015, 09:02 AM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Kell has great advice. It's hard not to obsess, but it's better for your sanity if you don't. ::-)

Also, if you are wondering if other people are having the same issue, querytracker dot net has a comments section for each agent that will often mention current issues like this. They're also a great way to track submissions, so I recommend using the site for that, too.
#6 - March 16, 2015, 09:05 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
All I can add to the good advice you've already received is You're right. Don't phone.  ::-)
#7 - March 16, 2015, 09:09 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I recently saw a tweet from an agent who has a similar system of sending out confirmation emails that addressed some of those confirmations not going out. They said not to worry, and that as long as you have "Query" in your subject line, they'll get it. Even if the agent who addressed this is not the particular one you queried, I suspect that many agents already have the query-in-the-subject-line filter in place, so I think you're fine. If you don't receive a response in the designated amount of time they say you'll have a response, I say wait for that amount of time (or 8 weeks, whichever comes later) to check in.
#8 - March 16, 2015, 09:56 AM
@kstinek

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member

Thank you all so much for your great advice.

Gosh really feels wonderful to hear back from people !

Good luck to you all x
#9 - March 17, 2015, 03:33 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Elizabeth, I have mixed feelings on this. Generally you just have to assume it went through, and I think it usually does. But a couple of years ago I queriedone of my top agent choices and got no response, so I ran the risk of re-querying, with a quick explanation that I hoped it wasn't redundant.

She replied saying she'd never received the first query, and would I please send a full.

:goodluck
#10 - March 17, 2015, 08:39 AM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks so much for your response. I guess the thing that is striking me as a bit weird is that I have sent two email submissions and not received the expected notification from either.
#11 - March 17, 2015, 09:05 AM

Elizabeth, sometimes it takes agents a little while to realize that the auto-responder isn't working. Many agents DO get emails, despite this. But I would say that if you haven't heard back in a month, send another query that mentions the issue. A month may sound like a long time, but in agent-land, it's not. And if you happen to get an offer for representation in the meantime, you can always send an email to the agent with OFFER in the subject line, and that almost always gets picked up quickly.
#12 - March 17, 2015, 02:17 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thank you all for your help and advice.

My answer came today with a rejection - so I guess my question is answered !

Good luck everyone
#13 - March 20, 2015, 02:54 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny

DEBBIE, do you mean that agent's email does not send an automated response to those who have sent emails before? I think that's what you mean, but at first I read it that the agent auto-deleted emails from those who have submitted before.

I'm not sure which it was. I know I got a reply from her when I resubmitted. The reply contained the explanation, but I don't have a copy handy. If it was in the rejection, I have it printed in my folder, but it may not have been a single e-mail. It was also a few years ago. She may have changed her system since.

Elizabeth, sorry for the rejection.
#14 - March 23, 2015, 07:55 AM
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 07:59 AM by Debbie Vilardi »
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
Sorry for your rejection!  All that worrying for nothing.  Keep your head up!
#15 - April 15, 2015, 07:21 AM

Members: