SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Situation I was hoping to avoid -- what to do?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
Hi, all!

Well, after sending a status query and not hearing anything back on a short story submitted 9 months ago, I heard back today and it's under consideration and a second review process. The editor said she hoped it would make it through.

My dilemma? I have sent it to another market through submittable. It is not in progress yet at the second market though, should I withdraw? Not sure what to do...   :duh
#1 - March 19, 2015, 01:56 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Hey, Gisele,

Congrats on being under consideration!! I hope they snap it up.

Nope, don't withdraw it yet. Stuff happens, yanno?

:goodluck
#2 - March 19, 2015, 01:59 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
I say wait till it is accepted by the first lot (hopefully), then withdraw it from the Submittable lot - if you are happy with the first publisher and their contract, etc. Nearly all publishers accept that simultaneous submissions are acceptable (unless otherwise specified) so you haven't done anything wrong. Don't worry.
#3 - March 19, 2015, 02:02 PM
I've Got a Tail! - Amicus Ink 2020

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Poster Plus
Thanks, Jody and Julie!

Neither market requests exclusive submissions. I also never specified anything at the first market, but did specify it was a simultaneous sub at the second...so yeah, I'm totally in the "did no wrong camp," right?  :lol4
#4 - March 19, 2015, 02:08 PM
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 02:20 PM by Gisele »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
Just relax and wait till you get an offer or pass. Then turn your attention to the other publisher. This is a GOOD problem (g).
#5 - March 19, 2015, 02:17 PM
Author of SNOW DOG, SAND DOG, THE SEER, DEAD GIRL, CURIOUS CAT SPY CLUB & in 2016: CA$H KAT
www.LindaJoySingleton.com
twitter.com/LindaJoySinglet

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
That's good news, not a dilemma! Hopefully a contract will shake loose soon, Gisele!
#6 - March 19, 2015, 02:23 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Poster Plus
Thanks, Linda and Kell! And Kell, you're right, it's not a dilemma but good news! I was so sure it had slipped through the cracks, so I'm excited! :grin3
#7 - March 19, 2015, 02:37 PM

Congrats, Gisele! Sounds like you're doing everything right. Just sit tight and be prepared to wait another nine months! Just kidding,  ...hopefully you'll hear sooner!  :cheesy Della
#8 - March 19, 2015, 02:38 PM
2019 Books: PRECIOUS BABY &  BEEP! BEEP! SPECIAL DELIVERY & HUGGLE WUGGLE, BEDTIME SNUGGLE
+ more in 2020

Poster Plus
LOL! Thanks Della, and goodness, I sure hope so on hearing sooner!  :whistle
#9 - March 20, 2015, 05:21 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Oh, wow!!! Great problem to have, but I agree, no need to do anything until you have an offer.  :goodluck :crossedfingers :crossedfingers :crossedfingers :crossedfingers :crossedfingers

Please keep us updated, Gisele!!  :stars3 :star2 :stars3 :star2
#10 - March 20, 2015, 06:50 AM
http://twitter.com/EnaJones
http://www.EnaJones.com

CLAYTON STONE, AT YOUR SERVICE
Holiday House, 2015
CLAYTON STONE, FACING OFF
Holiday House, 2016

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
...so yeah, I'm totally in the "did no wrong camp," right?  :lol4

Yep! :yup  Good luck!
#11 - March 20, 2015, 07:27 AM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

Poster Plus
Thanks, Ena and Stephanie! And I will definitely keep you all posted, Ena!  :yup Fingers crossed that it's good news and that I hear soon!  :grin3
#12 - March 20, 2015, 10:31 AM

A good problem to have!  :goldstar

Just hang in there. I hope you hear back super soon!  :goodluck Sounds promising!
#13 - March 20, 2015, 12:51 PM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
Gisele, that is great!  I totally get the stress of worrying that you might upset someone, but I am with the others; I think you are in excellent shape, and hope you hear good news soon!
#14 - March 20, 2015, 04:12 PM
AN EYEBALL IN MY GARDEN--AND OTHER SPINE-TINGLING POEMS (Marshall Cavendish 2010)
CIRCUS TRAIN! (Two Lions, Spring 2015)

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I think all you have to do is sit back, relax and wait for possible good news! And that's a great situation to be in!  :running
#15 - March 20, 2015, 05:16 PM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Women's Rights Movement: Then and Now
Capstone: January, 2018

Poster Plus
Thanks so much, Diana, Jennifer, and Rebecca! Keeping fingers crossed that I can relay some good news, soon! Otherwise, I might end up like this:  :crazy
#16 - March 21, 2015, 04:53 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
Congratulations, Gisele! That's a great kind of problem! Keep us informed on how things turn out! Hugs! :)
#17 - August 27, 2015, 02:29 PM

Poster Plus
Thanks, Mercedes -- unfortunately I ended up waiting another 4 1/2 months to find out that they decided to pass on it (only found out a couple weeks ago, and in all I waited on that market for an entire year). Also got a rejection from the other market. Think I'm done submitting to magazines for a while -- I've had many sales/acceptances in the small ones over the years, but my stuff just doesn't seem to be connecting with the editors at the big mags.  :gaah

At this point, I've decided to keep the focus on my novels and haiku. Not saying I'll never submit to magazines again, but for now I'm done on that front. For me, it just isn't worth the time and effort. :(
#18 - August 27, 2015, 05:49 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I'm sorry to hear that, Gisele... You're so talented, I'm sure that your novels and haiku will do great! Keep writing!

Best wishes,

Mercedes
#19 - August 31, 2015, 12:48 PM

Poster Plus
Aww, that's so sweet of you to say, Mercedes. I really appreciate the kind words.  :thanx
#20 - August 31, 2015, 02:18 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Mercedes is right, Gisele. You are very talented! I love your haiku, and know that your keen sensibilities will take you someplace special. Keep going! :flowers2
#21 - August 31, 2015, 03:52 PM
http://twitter.com/EnaJones
http://www.EnaJones.com

CLAYTON STONE, AT YOUR SERVICE
Holiday House, 2015
CLAYTON STONE, FACING OFF
Holiday House, 2016

Poster Plus
Aw, Ena, that is so sweet of you to say. Wow, you ladies sure now how to make a girl feel better. Thank you so much! :grouphug2
#22 - September 01, 2015, 06:55 AM

:cheerleader What Ena said!  :yup
#23 - September 01, 2015, 07:10 AM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Poster Plus
Aw, Diana, thank you so much. I appreciate the encouragement, more than you know -- you guys rock! :yup

And, Happy September and Happy Writing, everyone!  :writing3
#24 - September 02, 2015, 08:27 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
You're amazing, Gisele! Happy September and Happy Writing to you too! :)
#25 - September 02, 2015, 12:51 PM

Members: