SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Help! Chapter Book Freelance editor question. . .

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hi all,

I've written a 13 K chapter book (akin to Clementine or Ivy and Bean) and discovered that it's hard to get good critiques since many people have not read books (nor have they written them) of this type. As a result, I am finding that the feedback I'm receiving is not so helpful. I was wondering if anyone knew of a freelance editor savvy to chapter books (perhaps someone who's written them or is very familiar with them). I surfed the SCBWI resource database and couldn't tell from the freelance editor list who might be a good match for my manuscript.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
#1 - March 20, 2015, 01:26 PM
Lisa
@elisaitw

Dionna

Within the SCBWI publication THE BOOK not only does it name freelance editors, it details what types of books they edit and lists their websites. Perhaps that will be useful to you in narrowing your search. But I'm sure you can find some folks who read books and who know how to write them among your fellow SCBWI members in your area. You can try posting here, too, in the critique sections of the board.

Happy writing!  :flowers2
#2 - March 20, 2015, 08:19 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thank you!
#3 - March 20, 2015, 09:27 PM
Lisa
@elisaitw

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Elisa, if you are an SCBWI member, it's not showing here. Here's a link to steps to solve that issue: https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?topic=71314.0  Once the system knows you are a member, you'll see SCBWI specific boards, including Online Critiques and Critique groups. Both might help you get good comments without paying for an editor.
#4 - March 23, 2015, 08:06 AM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thank you, I am a member but I think I accidentally let it lapse. I paid my membership fee last week so I assume that should be registered soon.

Thanks again-
#5 - March 23, 2015, 08:37 AM
Lisa
@elisaitw

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I believe you'll still need to go through the steps once your membership is up and running. Welcome back to SCBWI.
#6 - March 30, 2015, 07:00 AM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster Plus
elisa, I also was a lapsed member for several months .. I can't remember exactly how I did it ... but there are instructions here somewhere. It took a few days for me to able to see the SCBWI boards again. One of the moderators or administrators would be better able to direct you than I could. I think it just takes a few days to get back in the system.
#7 - March 30, 2015, 07:28 AM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Members: