SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Highlights new submission ways

Discussion started on

Hi starfish! Just today, my submissions to Highlights turned from "received" to "in progress". Wanted to let you know! I was wondering the same thing myself. Good luck!
#31 - August 07, 2015, 02:59 PM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Thanks, Diana! Lots of good luck with your sub!
#32 - August 10, 2015, 01:39 PM
Anita N. Amin
RAJA’S PET CAMEL (Cardinal Rule Press, 2020); THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019)

Hi all. I'm new here, so I hope it's okay to already be asking questions. I subbed to Highlights eight weeks ago through submittable. I would like to sub elsewhere if they're going to reject it, but I don't want to rush them. Is it too early to nudge? I was really hoping that using the new online system would speed things up a bit, but if it's taking awhile because they're going to buy my story, I'll be happy with that 😄
#33 - September 02, 2015, 03:05 PM

I subbed via submittable on 7/5 and I'm still waiting, too.

Two months is WAY too early to nudge, imho. I'd wait 4-6 months. And honestly, with the new system, I'm not even sure if status querying is necessary. Probably not.

Good luck!
#34 - September 02, 2015, 04:40 PM

Oh, and of course feel free to ask as many questions as you like! :welcome
#35 - September 02, 2015, 04:41 PM

Thanks DianaM!  It's interesting to see the spectrum of opinions regarding the nudge question. I asked a small writing group I belong to on Facebook. Responses ranged from "Wait it out and be patient." To "The days of exclusives are over. Start subbing elsewhere, and send out numerous subs at a time. Wait two months and then start sending out more. "

I'm 99.9% sure I'll wait eight more weeks, but then I'll start subbing elsewhere.
#36 - September 02, 2015, 08:25 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Another thought: since you're already "ahead" two months with Highlights, go ahead and sub to other places now. You likely wouldn't hear back from a new publisher for a couple months, and by that time, maybe Highlights will have responded. If it's a yes, great. Just pull your sub from the other publishers. If it's a no, you're two months into a new waiting period.
#37 - September 03, 2015, 04:17 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

It's true that the days of exclusives are over. But I think that applies more to agents and book publishers. When it comes to magazine work, I never do multiple subs. What I like to do is write something different and sub that elsewhere. Then I always have a few irons in the fire. And more writing is always the best cure for a case of waiteritis. :) But there are lots of different approaches and opinions vary. So just do whatever makes the most sense to you.
#38 - September 03, 2015, 05:04 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Whatever your path, writing something new is always a good idea!  :hi5
#39 - September 03, 2015, 06:39 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Not sure if this helps but I have gotten my rejects fairly quickly from Highlights Submittable. So I'm hoping your story has gone up the chain ;) On the other hand, I subbed a piece via mail in January and got notice last week that they accepted it! In short, acceptance may take time but it's worth the wait :)
#40 - September 03, 2015, 06:51 AM

Thanks to all who replied. MBulls, congrats on the acceptance!
#41 - September 03, 2015, 12:47 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
With Submittable, has Highlights done away with the bear card? Or do they send electronic bear cards now? Just curious.
#42 - October 09, 2015, 07:02 AM
Anita N. Amin
RAJA’S PET CAMEL (Cardinal Rule Press, 2020); THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019)

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region montana
I had not heard the news yet either and submitted fairly recently by mail. Any opinions on whether to wait it out or submit again electronically?
#43 - October 09, 2015, 08:29 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Great question, Starfish.

Marci, resubmit it through Submittable.
#44 - October 09, 2015, 09:19 AM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

I agree with Jody that you should re-sub, Marci.

I don't know if they still do bear cards. I've had some poems under consideration there since July. Never received a card. I guess it's probably not necessary now since Submittable tells you when a sub is "in-progress".
#45 - October 09, 2015, 01:57 PM

Thanks for posting this. I had just finished a new story I wanted to submit to Highlights High Five and it was so easy to do online, especially since my printer is broken!
#46 - October 11, 2015, 05:05 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Good luck to all!

Diana, did you sub via Submittable for the July poems you're waiting on? I've heard Submittable is a lot faster than snail mail, so hope you hear good news soon!
#47 - October 11, 2015, 07:27 AM
Anita N. Amin

Hi, starfish! Yes, subbed via submittable back on 7/5. Crossing fingers. :)
#48 - October 11, 2015, 09:02 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
It's interesting to read all the different replies in this thread.  I, too, have been wondering about a submission I sent electronically on June 22.  It switched to "In Progress" in mid-July, and it's been there ever since.  I hope that means they're considering it!  :crossedfingers
#49 - October 11, 2015, 12:49 PM
AN EYEBALL IN MY GARDEN, Marshall Cavendish Children's Books
www.LauraWynkoop.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Don't mean to be a  :!, but I'm not sure "in progress" means anything other than "we're now looking at your stuff," like we've taken your letter off the end table and have opened the envelope. I personally don't equate it with "being considered," but I certainly could be, and hope I am, wrong! [I've had stuff go from "in progress" to "unfortunately" before.] But my fingers are perpetually crossed, nevertheless!
#50 - October 11, 2015, 01:28 PM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Well, it's better than "Received" in any case. It's a step forward. Not quite like a bear card but at least they ask if you've been published with them before.
#51 - October 11, 2015, 06:11 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I don't think one of my stories ever went to In Progress. It went from Received to Declined. I checked the status all the time, so if it went to In Progress it was for a blip of a second.

I wonder if the manuscripts go through first readers now. About a year ago, I had read in some online interviews that if the snail mailed manuscript was addressed to the editor, it went directly to the editor, not a first reader.
#52 - October 11, 2015, 06:12 PM
Anita N. Amin

That's interesting Starfish.  I had a very quick rejection from one of the Cricket mags, but it did move to "in-progress" first. Did you check it every day? Anyway, I suppose it varies.
#53 - October 11, 2015, 06:16 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I checked it right before I received the rejection. (I am a frequent refresher! :) ) Now I have two sitting at In Progress; they moved from Received a couple of days after submission.
#54 - October 11, 2015, 06:20 PM
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 06:37 PM by Starfish »
Anita N. Amin

Good luck, Starfish!  :crossedfingers

I do think "in-progress" sounds better than "received". I still have one thing lingering in "received" myself. Not quite as active.  :moose
#55 - October 11, 2015, 07:11 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Interesting, Starfish. And good luck, everyone!
#56 - October 12, 2015, 04:30 AM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Did Highlights update their word count limits or did I just never notice this before?

On Submittable:
Fiction for younger readers: max 475 words
Fiction for older readers: max 750 words
Rebus: max 100 words
Nonfiction for younger readers: max 400 words
Nonfiction for older readers: max 750 words

And I just subbed a 790-word fiction story a month ago. :(
#57 - October 30, 2015, 06:54 AM
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 06:59 AM by Starfish »
Anita N. Amin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
 :autumn
They sure did, Starfish.  THANK YOU for pointing that out.  I've been writing 800-word articles for them for years.  My guess is that they want to include bigger pictures or more pictures. I don't think the magazine pages have shrunk in size, like tuna fish, toilet paper and ricotta (now 15 ounces). 
:skeleton  :jackolantern  :blackcat  :bat  :ghost4
#58 - October 30, 2015, 08:04 AM

Good to know, Starfish. Thanks for sharing!

But I wouldn't worry. That's pretty close and I'm guessing if they like your story, they can always ask you to cut it down a bit. Since they just changed the requirements, I doubt they would hold it against you.  Good luck!

I'm still waiting on those poems I sent back at the beginning of July.
#59 - October 30, 2015, 11:01 AM
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 11:04 AM by DianaM »

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Thanks, Starfish. That's helpful.  :thankyou
#60 - October 30, 2015, 02:15 PM

Members: