SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Female protagonists in MG

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I'd love to hear of recent recommendations with main characters like Meg in A Wrinkle In Time, Anne (of Green Gables), or Ramona (Quimby, Age 8, or other Beverly Cleary). I've found the Julia Gillian ones and liked those. Anthropomorphic characters count! Thanks!
#1 - April 19, 2015, 07:25 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
WHEN YOU REACH ME by Rebecca Stead and BREADCRUMBS by Anne Ursu might fit the bill for MG protagonists along the lines of Meg.
#2 - April 19, 2015, 11:48 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
The Unstoppable Octobia May by Sharon Flake is the coming to mind but there are so many great girl characters out there.
#3 - April 19, 2015, 03:39 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Maybe Mibs Beaumont in Savvy? Juli Baker in Flipped? (She's a bit like Anne, I think--her own person, not trying to fit in.) Maia Fielding in Journey to the River Sea has a strong character with a definite personality.
#4 - April 19, 2015, 04:05 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Thank you!! I have looked at or read the Ursu & Stead and you're right - I enjoyed those characters in a similar way. And took a look at Savvy. I guess I'm wondering if there are others out there with a feel like the older ones, too (I realize I didn't say this) - but there might not be - kind of a slower, romantic pace would describe it maybe? But I will certainly check out the others recommended. Thank you again!
#5 - April 19, 2015, 05:17 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Maybe The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly.
#6 - April 19, 2015, 08:38 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

The Penderwick series?
#7 - April 19, 2015, 09:56 PM
The Echo Room (Tor Teen, 2018)
Where Futures End (Penguin, 2016)
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Thank you, thank you! Calpurnia has popped on & off my radar for years I think, and I never really looked at it - it won so many awards! And the Penderwicks too - I really don't think I've heard about them - but also very popular & award-winning -- yay! This helps! Added them both to my goodreads "to read" along with the others -- now to get to the library (I plan to question those nice librarians too :).
#8 - April 20, 2015, 05:01 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I actually also just found a great list of more possibilities on the A Mighty Girl website ~ http://www.amightygirl.com/books/fiction
Nothings beats a personal rec though! :typing
#9 - April 20, 2015, 11:53 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
I loved Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy and Dreamwood, both of which are a little quieter, but with brave girl MCs.
#10 - April 22, 2015, 09:13 AM
Twitter: @SuperKate
Check out my middle grade book recommendations at www.kidbooklist.com.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
For a contemporary character a bit like Beverly Cleary's Ramona, you might try Sara Pennypacker's Clementine books.
#11 - April 22, 2015, 10:08 AM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I'm trying to think of recent titles ...
Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz (multiple viewpoints, but strong female protag. I adore everything she writes)
The Apothecary by Maile Meloy (I don't remember now whether it's dual POVs)
Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool (as a fan of historical fiction, I thought I'd hit upon 2 pots of gold with this one)
Flora and Ulysses by Kate diCamillo (younger MG. Again, love everything she's written)

Happy reading.
Vijaya
#12 - April 22, 2015, 12:48 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Thanks for the heads-up about Ophelia - I hadn't heard of that one. I had checked out the Clementine books briefly (I love those illustrations  ::-)). And Dreamwood looks interesting! Thanks for the recommendations!! (quieter, yes, that's it  :cheesy) & brave  :yup)
#13 - April 22, 2015, 12:51 PM
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 02:29 PM by heila-rogers »

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
The Apothecary looks interesting because there are two parents around in the main (female) protagonist's life - not easy to provide drama when that is the case - MG characters need to go out on their own somehow (and have a crisis)... Hmm. THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THE RECS :verla
#14 - April 22, 2015, 02:33 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
The Apothecary has magic and the main character definitely gets out on her own without parents. It's an interesting book; I can't think of any other one like it (magic in the Cold War).
#15 - April 22, 2015, 03:11 PM

SECRET HUM OF A DAISY by Tracy Holczer.
#16 - April 22, 2015, 03:42 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Thank you!
#17 - April 22, 2015, 05:39 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Anyone familiar with Tamora Pierce books? I plan to check them out, but would love to hear from others (she's written many) who've read them. They might be more YA, or overlap w/MG.
#18 - April 30, 2015, 05:29 AM

Members: