A Short Video About Verla Kay

Discussion started on

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I just put up a short video about myself and my books on my website for kids to watch. I tried to use background music that I thought kids would like. Your input would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.verlakay.com/resources/about_verla_kay.mov
#1 - May 04, 2015, 10:59 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Verla, it took a while to open for me--that may just be my computer. (It has started running pretty slowly.)

I think it's cute, and love how you have the pages turn. It may have taken a little too long to load the children and grandchildren, though. Any possibility of having the page with them come up all at once, rather than waiting for each space to fill with a name? I'm guessing the kids will be more interested in you than in your great-grandkids. Just a thought.

What a creative idea for your website!  :yeah
#2 - May 04, 2015, 11:17 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Thanks for the suggestions, Katie. I'll keep them in mind for a future update. Was the music too annoying? (It drives me crazy, but then I'm a 1960's music lover - not that jangly type of stuff I used in that video.)
#3 - May 04, 2015, 11:25 PM
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:27 AM by Verla Kay »
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
The video is just 3+ minutes long. Does anyone else have time to give me feedback on it?
#4 - May 05, 2015, 06:29 AM
Verla Kay

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
Verla, it's been loading for a long time, nearly three minutes so far, but hasn't gotten there yet. I'll update you soon.
#5 - May 05, 2015, 06:48 AM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
Book Friends Bookshop
KidLit Agents/Editors at Conferences, Workshops/Retreats/Online Workshops
twitter @VonnaCarter

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Wow. The long load time shouldn't be happening. I'll work on that today. Thanks!
#6 - May 05, 2015, 07:04 AM
Verla Kay

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I think there's something wrong with my settings -- when I click on the link, it tries to make me save it to my desktop rather than just playing it. Let me play around and see what's going on...
#7 - May 05, 2015, 07:23 AM
Robin
Teen Books A Guide for Families (Vol. 1&2): https://www.amazon.com/s?field-keywords=robin+prehn
My Blog: http://robinellen.livejournal.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hi Verla,

I had no trouble viewing your video nor any delay in download.

It is very very cute. I love the page turns. I liked the music and felt it was very upbeat and not at all distracting. 3 minutes was a bit long, however. Can it be quicker (2 minutes is ideal, I believe)? Maybe spend more time on your books too? Any chance you could do individual screens on each book with interior views? I also liked seeing you in costume for a school visit. Any more photos like that in different costumes?

It was sweet to see you list all your pets and children and grandchildren and so forth. But two great-grandchildren were listed only by gender and age, no name nor age. I know there must be reasons for that you do not wish to share but it makes a viewer wonder.

All on all, I'd love more time given about YOU and your books, and slightly quicker over the other important sections to keep the time around 2-2.5 minutes.

So unique and cool with the clouds and page turns. So fun! :yourock

Congrats!
Marianne

#8 - May 05, 2015, 07:39 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Thanks, Koozoo. Great suggestions. I'll work on it. One granddaughter won't allow her kids' names or photos on the web, hence the gaps. But kids love seeing photos of kids...so I put the other two in there.
#9 - May 05, 2015, 08:23 AM
Verla Kay

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I like it Verla, esp. since this is for kids and kids love personal stuff like how many kids and grandkids and that you like to take a cruise. Could you have a cartoon for the missing children? That bumped for me too. I wanted an aria from your opera singer son! Just saying ... my heart beat a little faster just then.

The music got on my nerves only because the video is too long. Is your audience also potentially teachers and parents? If so, I'd make it shorter but also introduce your books earlier and later.

I liked the page turns, the clouds, the format. Really nice, Verla.
Vijaya
#10 - May 05, 2015, 09:23 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Robin, mine did that, too. (Downloaded it) I'm using Windows 8 (unfortunately) and Chrome, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Verla, I just peeked at it briefly. I have to get some work done while I'm at Starbucks with internet, but I will watch it all later! I like the music. Jamberry uses the same music for their monthly videos. :D
#11 - May 05, 2015, 09:23 AM
KISS ME KILL YOU (Entangled Crave, June 12, 2017)
@lchardesty all over the internet

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
It took about a minute to load for me. I loved the look; the clouds, pages, and animals are very appealing.

I think that it is a bit long. The music was okay but I didn't like the jarring sound effect when the photos of your kids popped up.

I agree with those who think you should concentrate the video on yourself and spend less time on your family. Maybe do a group photo or two, instead of individual ones?

Good luck with this, Verla!
#12 - May 05, 2015, 09:36 AM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Mine took a while to download, too and didn't just open. I had to save it first. I love the look of the clouds, and the color is easy on the eye. Loved the page turns and the music was fine but got a little repetitive.

I second:
-making it shorter
-focusing on you and your books
-maybe just one page for things you like to do and then the big reveal: And Write Wonderful Stories for Kids
-maybe focus briefly on each book with a quick special effect. For example: the sound of a horse galloping for The Pony Express or the sound of drums for The Drummer Boy or a train crossing the page for your book on trains.
-Because these are school kids, maybe you could show a map with an arrow pointing to where your cruise went last winter and then the picture of you and Terry enjoying being there.

As always, your charm and personality come through.
#13 - May 05, 2015, 10:20 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I had to go through a whole bunch of steps making it okay to open the video on my computer, but that's because I didn't already have that set up previously.  Once all that was done, it loaded reasonably quickly.

I enjoyed the video and getting to see your family, Verla. I do agree with the others that showing the kids and grandkids and greats in just an instant reveal, rather than one at a time would be better and save time. And I liked Pons' suggestion of focusing on the books more and have sound effects to go with them.

I was focused on the text and pictures, so the music didn't bother me, but I admit it's not my favorite kind.

I'm impressed with your ability to do all this, Verla. Overall, great job!
#14 - May 05, 2015, 11:22 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
I clicked on the link and it brought me here: https://www.scbwi.org/bookstore-landing/
I will try again when I check my internet use. (I have a pay-as-you-go dongle!)
#15 - May 06, 2015, 01:04 AM

Members: