SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Self-Addressed Stamped Postcard looks like...?

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Hi there,

I have a newbie question. I'm submitting to a publisher and want to include a self-addressed stamped postcard for acknowledgement of receipt (the publisher's guidelines state that they'll send it back if included) but it occurred to me that I just don't know what kind of postcard to include! Do you just use any postcard with the pertinent information filled in on the back? Do you have personalized postcards printed with maybe your author picture/info/etc. on the front? Seems like a silly question but I'm wondering if there's an industry standard here.

Thx!
Rebecca Light
Twitter @MsBeckyLight
rebeccalight.squarespace.com
#1 - May 14, 2015, 03:54 PM
Twitter - @MsBeckyLight

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I haven't done this in a long time, but when I did I bought pre-stamped blank postcards from the post office.  I created a sticker to go on the message side that had my message and addressed it to myself with a return address from the publisher. 
#2 - May 14, 2015, 04:18 PM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Women's Rights Movement: Then and Now
Capstone: January, 2018

That's pretty much what I did too--
Bought a package of five pre-stamped cards (back when I had to use them regularly), put my big mailing address sticker on the front, and a "received" form address sticker on the back.
(To politely nudge the issue, mine had a "If you don't hear back by ___/____, please contact", and believe it or not, some actually put in a date.)

Of course, that was way back in the days when you could submit to editors, rather than the electronic submission to agents.   :gandalf
Didn't know anyone still asked for that.
#3 - May 14, 2015, 08:28 PM
Know the movies.  Show the movies.  Start the revolution:
http://movieactivist.blogspot.com

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Thanks so much! So it sounds like there aren't any hard and fast rules here. Just use a postcard with a stamp and the pertinent info.

I'm submitting a PB manuscript directly to publishers and I've come across a few that mention in their guidelines that they'll send the postcard back to acknowledge receipt. Most don't seem to want a SASE anymore though. Just a no-news-is-bad-news kind of a policy.
#4 - May 15, 2015, 04:55 PM
Twitter - @MsBeckyLight

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I use post cards I picked up at a conference. They are for a book published by someone else. I liked the picture book connection. But any post card will do.
#5 - May 18, 2015, 08:45 AM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Members: