SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

PB Illus Notes

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
 :huh I realize that we should strive to keep art notes to minimum or none at all, but since PB's now have to be so short, sometimes the story would be incomprehensible without. So, I'd appreciate any advice on how to include them? Same line as the text? Columns with text one side and notes on other? Before or after text they refer to or clarify? Numbered in text and then numbered at the end? Should they be in smaller sized font? Should they be in brackets? Italicized? It's late in the game to learn to do this correctly, but I'm finally ready to "read the directions" instead of "winging it" as I've been doing with art notes and formatting and probably more. (Had a critique which strongly emphasized proper formatting --even down to proper place for page numbers--as a way of indicating that you are a pro, that you know what you're doing,  and now I'm paying attention.)
#1 - May 18, 2015, 09:51 PM
Carol Samuelson-Woodson

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Carol,

You're right. Try to determine if you absolutely need illo notes. Then if you do, you could put them in parenthesis, italicize them, and make them 10-point font. That's what I do. I usually tab over a couple times and put them on the same line as the text, if possible.

Like this:

text text text text                  (italicized note in smaller font)
text text text text                  (italicized note in smaller font)
#2 - May 19, 2015, 04:45 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

I put them in brackets on the same line if they're short enough, or on the next line if they're longer. But I usually write in verse. In prose I would always put it on the same line, I think. Unless the note relates to a whole section. It depends. I also make them medium gray instead of black. I feel that helps maintain the flow when you're reading (esp. with multiple notes). I usually start each note with "ILLO:"

I have seen other published authors use double brackets with italics and "Art Note:" or single brackets with no italics and "Illustrator Note:"

I don't think there's one correct way. But I do recommend using brackets because brackets wouldn't be used in the regular text (whereas parentheses could). Although it really isn't a big deal either way. Not trying to pick a fight with Jody. :)

I would go with the simplest method. Numbering sounds like it could be a bit too much work to decipher.
#3 - May 19, 2015, 05:10 AM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Thanks, Jody, Diana. Good ideas.
#4 - May 19, 2015, 07:51 AM
Carol Samuelson-Woodson

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Good notes from others. The only other thing I might add is that you may want to include a note in your query/cover letter stating what you are doing. Something like: "The manuscript is attached. I've placed illustration notes in brackets next to the text." 

Or whatever, depending on how you decide to format and how you are sending. This way what you are doing is abundantly clear to your reader. 
#5 - May 19, 2015, 08:48 AM
ROYALLY ENTITLED (inspirational/historical YA) and OOPS-A-DAISY (humorous MG) out now.  http://www.melodydelgado.com/

www.tammisauer.com
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
This is a recent thread that includes info. on art notes:

https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?topic=75734.msg941541#msg941541
#6 - May 19, 2015, 08:53 AM
COMING SOON: Making a Friend*Wordy Birdy Meets Mr. Cougarpants*A Little Chicken*Nugget & Fang, the SEAquel*The Farm that Mac Built & MORE

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Thanks, again, all who contributed. Tammi, went to thread you suggested and gleaned more useful info. Many thanks, all.
#7 - May 19, 2015, 10:51 AM
Carol Samuelson-Woodson

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I always use parentheses for my art notes. No one has ever objected, including Houghton-Mifflin, one of the most traditional publishers.

I don't even think it's a no-no to have a number of notes anymore, as long as you don't overstep your authority and start impinging on the illustrator's territory. With pb manuscripts being so short these days, authors sometimes have to fill in the blanks--or the text won't make sense.
#8 - May 22, 2015, 05:43 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Thanks so much, Betsy. Great advice!
#9 - May 22, 2015, 09:33 PM
Carol Samuelson-Woodson

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
A few months back a writer contacted me to illustrate a PB. One of the reasons I turned down job was because of the illustration notes.
 The notes was written in BOLD and a LARGER font then the actual story, I felt It set a bad tone for a working relationship between myself and the writer.

#10 - May 23, 2015, 05:25 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Good to know, Stephen. Thanks!
#11 - May 23, 2015, 09:04 AM
Carol Samuelson-Woodson

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I'm not an illustrator, but if this had happened to me--I would have asked the editor to rein the author in a bit. That's part of the editor's job.
#12 - May 23, 2015, 09:31 AM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL