SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Mary Poppins

Discussion started on

How would this book be different of it were written today with modern sensibilities?

I ask this after returning from the play, which was excellent. Also loved the first book.
#1 - May 22, 2015, 10:59 PM
You can find my stuff at: uggc://plorephyg.bet/~fnenu/oybt.ugzy

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
The story is timeless the only difference I think is the costumes and maybe how they speak, electronic devices 
#2 - May 23, 2015, 05:05 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
I've never read the book, but have seen the movie countless times. I don't think it would be any different except for costumes and cultural/technological accoutrements, as Stephen says.

I always, ALWAYS cry at the end.
#3 - May 23, 2015, 12:35 PM
Young Henry and the Dragon (2011, Shenanigan Books)

Yea the ending was one of the best parts. Honestly without the animated cartoon segment, it has the potential to be one of the best movies out there.

I'm particularly curious, cause I noted in the play, without going into details, it seems like kids in that day in age were ... more respectful of authority? It seems like with the age of tablets and smart phones things would be different.
#4 - May 23, 2015, 04:25 PM
You can find my stuff at: uggc://plorephyg.bet/~fnenu/oybt.ugzy

Yea the ending was one of the best parts. Honestly without the animated cartoon segment, it has the potential to be one of the best movies out there.

I'm particularly curious, cause I noted in the play, without going into details, it seems like kids in that day in age were ... more respectful of authority? It seems like with the age of tablets and smart phones things would be different.

I think children were expected to behave like little versions of adults. But even with technology that today's kids have, that desire to play and be played with by adults is still there. I remember always wishing my parents had time to play with me so I think that'd translate into a modern Mary Poppins.
#5 - June 23, 2015, 10:41 AM

As far as "updating", I remember the old Nanny & the Professor TV series, where Juliet Mills tried to update Mary Poppins (in almost literally all but name) to 60's family-sitcom land.  And managed the Poppins/Andrews imitation quite well on her own, IIRC, even if the humor was from the Brady Bunch days.

And think Julie Andrews in the movie found just the right miracle-balanced note between Travers' "nasty" vain Poppins who keeps admiring herself in windows and constantly accuses the kids of lying, and Disney's more sympathetic idea of one with more of a playful wink to her no-nonsense, who suggests "You're not going to outwit me into explaining myself that easily...  ;) "
As we know from recent Disney movies, the studio folk had had enough of Travers' stubbornness and insistence on making Poppins like her own stodgy self, but Andrews tried to respect Travers' wishes and find a middle ground that was closer to the book's stubbornness without being thoroughly unlikeable.  (Note the way she always turns her shoes straight out, to look like the original book illustrations.)
#6 - June 23, 2015, 11:18 AM
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 11:20 AM by EricJ »
Know the movies.  Show the movies.  Start the revolution:
http://movieactivist.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
I've only watched the film, but I never read the book.  :bluesad It must be fabulous, I'd love to read it!
#7 - August 06, 2015, 01:20 PM

Members: