SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Is there an industry standard when sending illustration samples??

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Hello everyone,
I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I have looked and not been able to locate anything about the best format for submitting illustration samples to agents, publishers, etc.? Is there an industry standard when it comes to the samples themselves?

For example: a neatly bound booklet with samples, 8.5 x 11 sheets with one sample per page or many samples on one page for easier filing? The last thing I want to do is end up in the recycling bin before they even see my work.

And when asked to submit samples by email, how many samples are the norm? 3? 5? Or do you just send a link to an online portfolio and/or both?

Thanks in advance!
Lynn

:thankyou
#1 - May 19, 2015, 03:09 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Have you checked their website for guidelines? Postcards are good because they will look at the art - no envelopes to open & even if it goes in the trash, someone has seen it. Unless of course they specify to send tear sheets or emails.
#2 - May 19, 2015, 04:38 PM
https://marlalesage.com/
Pirate, year round 2019 Acorn Press

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
When in doubt check the guidelines on the publisher's web site. If you have a conversation with an AD who asks for samples, ask how they would like to see them, and how many.

When I do my email mailing list, I send a link to my web site. Other wise I send a postcard unless asked for additional materials.
#3 - May 19, 2015, 04:42 PM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Members: