SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Too many subs at a time to one magazine group?

Discussion started on

A question for those with more experience --

Are there drawbacks to having too many submissions at one time to various magazines within the same magazine group (i.e. in one month submitting a different story each to CRICKET, SPIDER and LADYBUG, or submitting a story to HIGHLIGHTS and another one to HIGHLIGHTS HIGH FIVE all in one month). Would it better to wait a while before submitting another story to the same group?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
#1 - June 09, 2015, 03:16 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I'm interested too! I know some of the magazines share editorial staff, and it might be better to avoiding subbing stories to each on the exact same schedule. But that's a hunch and not based on knowledge.
#2 - June 09, 2015, 03:34 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Well, I once did get a lovely rejection with 4 of them stuffed in one envelope from the Carus group asking me to slow down, but they also bought a lot of stuff from me, so I suggest you be prudent. Give them your best.

Vijaya
#3 - June 09, 2015, 04:26 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

I think it's fine to submit one story to, say, Highlights and another to High Five in one month. The same would be true for the Bug magazines. To me, that shows you are really thinking about your different age group targets.

However, I wouldn't do that every month. I generally wait to hear back from them (Highlights is pretty quick; the Bugs, not as quick). I also wouldn't send more than two stories in one month. Highlights keeps very good track of writers and their subs and the Bugs use Submittables, so they will be able able to easily track your submissions.

I agree with Vijaya to be prudent. If you throw too much at them, they will wonder if you are doing a story dump of some kind. Plus, remember, they are getting hundreds of subs every week.

I'm not all that prolific, so I don't have to practice too much restraint in that regard. But I have to tell you that selling poetry and short fiction to magazines is my motivator and if I can sell a couple every year, I don't feel quite so bad about having trouble selling longer fiction to publishers. So, I tend to stretch out my subs to give me that shot in the arm every year.

(poetry is different in that Highlights, for example, says it's fine to sub up to three poems at once. But I wouldn't do three each to Highlights and High Five in one month).
#4 - June 09, 2015, 04:40 PM
Young Henry and the Dragon (2011, Shenanigan Books)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
My personal rule is to have not more than three stories subbed to one market at once--but I usually sub them several months apart, and they're often different genres--like right now I have 2 stories (subbed 4 months apart) and 1 NF in at HL.
#5 - June 09, 2015, 05:52 PM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Thanks for this feedback, I appreciate it and it makes a lot of sense! I actually don't have more than 2 pieces out to any single group, but I think I am most comfortable keeping it like that for now so I am not going to submit this quite yet unless I find a different market.

#6 - June 10, 2015, 01:45 PM

Members: