SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Structural similarity

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Hello friends, I have a Q. My new manuscript has a very similar structure, just the structure, as another well-known book. Everyone who read it has pointed out that. So, should I move forward with the Beta readers etc or put it away? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Rani
#1 - June 17, 2015, 05:02 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Most novels have the same structure: chapters that progress forward in time. Some, of course, have different ones, but unless the format AND premise are both SO SIMILAR to an existing, popular, unique book, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Unless you want to be more specific?
#2 - June 17, 2015, 06:38 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

if everyone who has read the book has pointed it out, either the book it is similar to has a very distinct structure, or there is more similarity.

It might help to know what the structure of the published book is -- is it a novel in poetry perchance? I can't think of anything else that might cause people to compare structure.

:) K
#3 - June 17, 2015, 07:40 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Dinalapomy 101, Auntybooks, the PB manuscript has a cumulative structure. It is built in stages, the previous lines and pages adding to the next section. Everyone has remarked on the structure, but they have not said anything about the story. In fact said the story reads better in the structure. Any suggestions?
#4 - June 17, 2015, 10:06 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
So you mean like THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT?  There are many books written in cumulative structure.

I realize you don't want to get too specific, but if that's ALL there is, I don't see a problem.
#5 - June 18, 2015, 02:45 AM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Oh, I see -- Anne Marie is exactly right, many many books are written in cumulative structure. Perhaps your readers are familiar with just one? 

Move forward. Full speed ahead! Darn the torpedoes and all of that! Finish this book, submit it and go on to the next...

:) eab
#6 - June 18, 2015, 06:54 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
 :running Thank you! Thank you! Anne Marie and Aunty books! So encouraging and so fun!  :yay I have been concerned that the similarity might hurt... :thankyou  :thanx
#7 - June 18, 2015, 09:41 PM

Members: