SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

submitting sidebars

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region southern-breeze
I have a non-fiction poetry book I want to submit. I have more information for each poem. Is it better to send the poems followed by the information leaving how it is placed to the editor? Thanks for any help.
#1 - June 22, 2015, 07:06 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Trubbles, that is how I have done it. Submit the manuscript, then have a "Back Matter" section with the additional information. In my query letter I will note that I have included additional nonfiction information that complements the text and could be used as sidebars on the page or as back matter. Each editor may have their own vision, so I like to leave it up to them. Of course, take this with a grain of salt, as I have not actually successfully sold a manuscript like this. Good luck!
#2 - June 22, 2015, 07:37 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
You can place the information at the end or place it by the poems it belongs with.  I've done several nf books with sidebar info and back matter info.  For the sidebar info I place it after the chapter it belongs with and format it differently (italics or a different color).  At the beginning of the manuscript I indicate something like this:  Additional side bar information included in blue.  Ultimately the editor will decide where it goes and in what format, so your job is to make its purpose understandable for the editor and make it easily accessed. 
#3 - June 22, 2015, 09:10 AM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Booth Brothers: Drama, Fame & the Death of Lincoln
Capstone: September 1, 2017

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
 :write5 Hi Trubbles,
For my nonfiction book, I placed the sidebars at the end of each chapter, like Rebecca (clearly labeling them as such), and they were moved during the editing process.
#4 - June 22, 2015, 01:17 PM
twitter: @sueirwin88

Safety Stars -
Players who fought to make the hard-hitting game of professional hockey safer
(Lorimer Kids, 2015)

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region southern-breeze
Thank you so much for your help!
#5 - June 22, 2015, 02:25 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
I just took writing class and was told we should put the sidebars by the story where it pertains.
#6 - June 30, 2015, 12:25 PM

Members: