SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Rights reports including PB author & illustrator: How Does it Happen?

Discussion started on

Dionna

I always thought the editor picked out the illustrator after a PB was under contract for some time. Yet, several times I've read rights reports on PW that mention the PB author and the illustrator. The two are often not represented by the same agent.

So I'm VERY CURIOUS:

How does this marriage between illustrator and author occur, even before the book is under contract? Who's the matchmaker? And at what stage in the development of the book is the relationship formed? Are the illustrations already created?

It's a mystery my imagination can't solve. Anyone know? 
#1 - June 25, 2015, 08:24 PM

www.tammisauer.com
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
Here are a few reasons for this:

* Sometimes editors want to have some sample art to pair with a ms when he/she takes a ms to acquisitions.
* Sometimes agents like to wait until an illustrator has been selected before making the announcement.
* Sometimes, if an author and an illustrator are repped by the same agent, the agent might sub the ms as a package deal.
#2 - June 25, 2015, 08:39 PM
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 09:05 PM by Tammi »
COMING SOON: Making a Friend*Wordy Birdy Meets Mr. Cougarpants*A Little Chicken*Nugget & Fang, the SEAquel*The Farm that Mac Built & MORE

Dionna

* Sometimes editors want to have some sample art to pair with a ms when he/she takes a ms to acquisitions.* Sometimes agents like to wait until an illustrator has been selected before making the announcement.

That makes sense. So is the editor still really behind the choice of the illustrator?
#3 - June 25, 2015, 08:54 PM

www.tammisauer.com
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
The pub house (editor, art director, etc.) generally chooses the illustrator. Sometimes a house will ask the author for input.
#4 - June 25, 2015, 09:03 PM
COMING SOON: Making a Friend*Wordy Birdy Meets Mr. Cougarpants*A Little Chicken*Nugget & Fang, the SEAquel*The Farm that Mac Built & MORE

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
We often (not always! but certainly sometimes!) wait to announce the deal until the illustrator is chosen.
#5 - June 25, 2015, 11:23 PM
twitter: @literaticat
ask the agent: http://literaticat.tumblr.com/ask

Dionna

We often (not always! but certainly sometimes!) wait to announce the deal until the illustrator is chosen.

Very interesting, Literaticat! I imagine that a LOT of time transpires between when a manuscript finds a home and when the home finds an illustrator. I imagine that (unless the ms is perfect) that many months pass, if not longer. If that's true, the agent and the author must contain their excitement for a LONG time. That would be soooo hard for me! ANOTHER example of how the world of publishing teaches patiently waiting.

Perhaps it's easier for the more established authors????
#6 - June 26, 2015, 03:43 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Very interesting, Literaticat! I imagine that a LOT of time transpires between when a manuscript finds a home and when the home finds an illustrator. I imagine that (unless the ms is perfect) that many months pass, if not longer. If that's true, the agent and the author must contain their excitement for a LONG time. That would be soooo hard for me! ANOTHER example of how the world of publishing teaches patiently waiting.

Perhaps it's easier for the more established authors????

They don't necessarily wait until the manuscript is fully revised until finding an illustrator.  They need to get on the illustrator's schedule, which might be several years out.  If a manuscript is good enough to be acquired, it's good enough to hook an illustrator.  Then the fine tuning can happen.

I hope what you're seeing is that every situation is different!
#7 - June 26, 2015, 05:40 AM
VAMPIRINA IN THE SNOW (Disney-Hyperion, 2018)
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Dionna

They don't necessarily wait until the manuscript is fully revised until finding an illustrator.  They need to get on the illustrator's schedule, which might be several years out.  If a manuscript is good enough to be acquired, it's good enough to hook an illustrator.  Then the fine tuning can happen.

I hope what you're seeing is that every situation is different!

This, too, is very informative! Thanks for sharing your insights!  :dogwalk
#8 - June 27, 2015, 02:54 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I had to wait 8 months to announce my first deal, but that had nothing to do with finding an illustrator since I was the illustrator too. It just took that long for them to send the contract and we weren't allowed to announce until it was signed. My recent sale we announced after about a month. (But we still don't have the contract)

So yeah, there's no hard and fast rule. I know of people who waited a really long time to get to announce for a variety of reasons. I don't think it always takes a long time to find an illustrator, but sometimes it can take a really long time before an illustrator is free to work on the project.
#9 - June 27, 2015, 10:04 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I have seen an editor suggest an author and illustrator work together. The editor had reviewed the portfolio and the author's first page at the same workshop and thought the styles matched well. I don't know if the collaboration sold.
#10 - June 29, 2015, 08:10 AM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
I didn't imagine this partnership could begin in so many different ways... Thank you so much for sharing!  :thankyou :flowers2
#11 - August 14, 2015, 07:13 AM

Members: