SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

adult summer reads?

Discussion started on

:sailor Looking for an adult summer read to dig into. Literary is a plus, but it doesn't have to be.

Anybody read anything super great so far this summer?  :eh2
#1 - July 05, 2015, 02:55 PM
OPEN COURT, Knopf

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I just started, What Alice Forgot, by Liane Moriarty. It's good so far. I'm also reading, The Boys in the Boat. I live in Seattle so it's fun to read about the area I'm familiar with.
Good Luck on your hunt. I don't read much adult, so I'm not much of an authority.    :soccer
#2 - July 05, 2015, 03:04 PM

I just read and loved Eliza Kennedy's I TAKE YOU. It's snort-out-loud funny, especially if you've ever planned a wedding. It was also surprisingly empowering. Probably not for everyone, though. It's about a woman who loves sex, has a ton of it, and is a week away from being married and debating whether or not to call off the wedding. It asks some big questions about what marriage means, how people think women should behave, and finding your own way in life.
#3 - July 05, 2015, 04:15 PM
critically-yours.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
I loved the thriller The Girl on the Train, the J.K. Rowling mystery Cuckoo's Calling, and the literary-ish novel Still Alice.
#4 - July 05, 2015, 04:44 PM
Author of SILVER PONY RANCH and ZEKE MEEKS series

http://www.DebraLGreen.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Priya Parmar's VANESSA AND HER SISTER, the sister being Virginia Woolf, kept me turning the pages.
#5 - July 05, 2015, 05:17 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
I love the last 3 books by Kate Morton. Start off with THE FORGOTTEN GARDEN which has a literary theme about a childrens book author.  Fascinating multi-generalization mystery. I loved it so much I also listened on audio.

For a more light-hearted (well mostly except for war stuff) book try the GUERNSY POTATO PEEL SOCIETY -- gold in letters, very literary in more than one way, about secrets the island of Guernsy in WWII.
#6 - July 05, 2015, 05:53 PM
Author of SNOW DOG, SAND DOG, THE SEER, DEAD GIRL, CURIOUS CAT SPY CLUB & in 2016: CA$H KAT
www.LindaJoySingleton.com
twitter.com/LindaJoySinglet

These are great; I'm getting good ideas. Some of these I haven't heard of.

Keep 'em coming.

I'm writing them down...   :plane
#7 - July 05, 2015, 06:01 PM
OPEN COURT, Knopf

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I just finished Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton. Memoir, faith journey. Reads like a beautiful novel.
Happy reading.
Vijaya
#8 - July 05, 2015, 06:20 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
If literary letters are your cupa, the best book I've read so far this summer is Juliet Barker's THE BRONTES: A LIFE IN LETTTERS.
#9 - July 05, 2015, 06:58 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Non-Fiction: THE BOYS IN THE BOAT and DEAD WAKE
Fiction: ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE (literary), THE MARTIAN (sci-fi), THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN (thriller), THE SOUTHERN REACH TRILOGY (sci-fi)
#10 - July 05, 2015, 07:00 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I'm reading The Long and Faraway Gone by Lou Berney. It's a literary PI mystery with a lot of humor--I'm enjoying it a lot so far.
#11 - July 05, 2015, 08:49 PM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

Melissa
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Another vote for THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN. It's one of the few adult novels I've read recently, and I really enjoyed it.
#12 - July 06, 2015, 06:34 AM
2018:
Start Your Babysitting Business (Capstone)
Deadly Bites (Saddleback)
Hip-Hop Bios: Future (ABDO)
Twitter: @mg_higgins

Of the ones mentioned I have read:

Girl on the Train
Cuckoo's Calling
and the Potato Peel one... 

... making a list, still... :naughty
#13 - July 06, 2015, 07:25 AM
OPEN COURT, Knopf

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Enjoying The Girl on The Train now! 
I tried Kristin Hannah's The Nightingale, which a lot of people like - Holocost, wasn't for me though, BUT, I loved her other ones:  Winter Garden, Night Road and Firefly Lane!
#14 - July 06, 2015, 07:51 AM
Mary Munson

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
...For a more light-hearted (well mostly except for war stuff) book try the GUERNSY POTATO PEEL SOCIETY -- gold in letters, very literary in more than one way, about secrets the island of Guernsy in WWII.

Loved that one! Also: Major Pettigrew's last stand by Helen Simonson, a sweet romance between a British widower and the Pakistani shopkeeper from the village.
#15 - July 06, 2015, 08:03 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Ooooh, Brontes Letters sounds soooo good!
V.
#16 - July 06, 2015, 10:25 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I just finished The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton, historical fiction with several plot twists.
#17 - July 06, 2015, 03:16 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
I enjoyed The String Diaries--an adult mystery that spans several centuries and a psychopathic shapeshifter. I loved The War that Saved My Life (historical MG). Currently reading The Book of Speculation (Ericka Swyler)...very good so far.
#18 - July 06, 2015, 05:31 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Non-Fiction: THE BOYS IN THE BOAT and DEAD WAKE
Fiction: ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE (literary), THE MARTIAN (sci-fi), THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN (thriller), THE SOUTHERN REACH TRILOGY (sci-fi)

THE SOUTHERN REACH TRILOGY was just...weird.  It didn't quite work for me...I think he tried to be too mysterious, and it just fell flat.

I'm reading something that I'm quite enjoying--somewhere between magical realism and fantasy, with a literary bent--THE RABBIT BACK LITERATURE SOCIETY...with the added bonus that it's about writers and centers around a mysterious children's book author.
#19 - July 09, 2015, 01:56 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I'm reading The Writer's Garden: How Gardens Inspired Our Best-Loved Authors. It's a gorgeous book with beautiful photos of the writers' gardens, homes and wonderful writing spaces. The text is just as lovely and so inspiring in so many ways!  I love reading about each author's writing journey and how their writing and lives were connected to their gardens. The book includes writers such as Jane Austen, Dickens, Wordsworth, Beatrix Potter, Roald Dahl, Thomas Hardy and other wonderful writers. A lovely book to enjoy sitting in a garden this summer!   

THE BRONTES: A LIFE IN LETTTERS sounds wonderful!  I've read Jane Austen's Letters and loved it so much! 
Happy reading!
Sue   :flowers2
#20 - July 09, 2015, 02:30 PM
FAIRIES, Focus Readers, North Star Editions, 2018
GET OUTSIDE IN WINTER, Focus Readers, Jan.  2019
GET OUTSIDE IN SPRING, Focus Readers, Jan.  2019

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
But Marissa, did you read the whole S.R. TRILOGY? Like, all three books? It was super weird, but I couldn't put it down, and kept analyzing it and the meanings with my hub, lol! Something about the writing and story just had me addicted to all three books, which rarely happens for me.

But for anyone wanting accessible adult scifi, go with THE MARTIAN. :)
#21 - July 09, 2015, 08:12 PM
www.deenalipomi.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Yep, read the whole thing. I liked the first one the best. Found books two and three very annoying. I guess New Weird just isn't my cuppa. But do take a look at the Rabbit Back book --I'm enjoying it a lot.
#22 - July 09, 2015, 08:29 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Marissa -- I'm on it!
#23 - July 10, 2015, 04:37 AM
www.deenalipomi.com

As something nice and easy to read  I enjoyed  Peach Keeper, and First Frost by Sara Allen Addison
#24 - July 12, 2015, 05:23 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
I second dinalapomy101 on ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE (Anthony Doerr).
#25 - July 12, 2015, 06:05 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
So here's something fun: a British woman named Clara Benson wrote a number of mysteries back in the 1920s, in the style of the day a la Agatha Christie and others, purely for her own amusement...and now, 50 years after her death, her family is publishing them. There are nine released--not sure how many more there will be--but I read the first, The Murder at Sissingham Hall, and it held its own with other Golden Age of Mystery stories. Fascinating!
#26 - July 12, 2015, 06:19 PM
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I've heard ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE if fantastic, although I have yet to read it.

I recently read WILD, and loved it. (I haven't see the movie yet.)

#27 - July 12, 2015, 07:13 PM

Read the book WILD and saw the movie. The Movie paralleled the book.   If you read the book the movie will seem like it is missing in parts, but the movie was good.   
#28 - July 15, 2015, 08:51 PM

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I liked the movie, Wild, but I couldn't get through the book. Found it depressing.
#29 - July 15, 2015, 09:00 PM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
I'm reading "Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit by Corey Olsen", and I'm really enjoying it.  :love5
#30 - August 03, 2015, 05:18 AM

Members: