SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Picture books with Parallel structure

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Looking for PBs that have parallel stories, where neither party knows of the other (or the reader is made to think that)
The only ones I can think of are One Dark Night by Lisa Wheeler and Blueberries for Sal.
Thanks!
#1 - July 15, 2015, 01:40 PM
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 03:30 PM by darshana »
How to Wear a Sari (HMH Books/Versify, Spring 2021)
www.darshanakhiani.com - Children's Book Author

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
I had this saved in my notes Darshana. The Dog Who Belonged to No One by Amy Hest & Rain Hope this helps.

https://laurasassitales.wordpress.com/2013/04/26/picture-books-with-p-u-n-c-h-parallel-story-structure/
#2 - July 15, 2015, 04:38 PM
THE KING CAKE BABY (Pelican Pub. Co. Jan 2015)
www.keiladawson.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Hello,

There's a picture book called A Dog's Day by Rebecca Rissman. There are 2 points of view, a girl's and a dog's. You start reading one, then flip the book over and read the other. The characters meet in the centre pages. Don't know  if that is quite what you are looking for though.

Good luck with your search x
#3 - July 18, 2015, 12:51 PM

www.DellaRossFerreri.com
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Here's a blurb from a new release:

In A Tale of Two Beasts, Fiona Roberton tells the same tale twice — once from the perspective of a girl who finds a squirrel-like creature named Fang in the forest and the second time from the perspective of Fang. In Part I, a girl discovers a “strange beast” (i.e. Fang) hanging upside down in the forest. She rescues Fang and takes him home. In Part II, Fang is “ambushed” by a “terrible beast.” The terrible beast ties Fang up and carries him off to her secret lair.

Roberton carefully connects the two stories. After Part I, we are left wondering why Fang runs away from the girl only to return. In Part II, this mystery is answered. We can only fully understand the story when we see the story from both characters’ perspectives.
#4 - July 18, 2015, 02:03 PM
New Books: PRECIOUS BABY &  BEEP! BEEP! SPECIAL DELIVERY
Forthcoming: HUGGLE WUGGLE, BEDTIME SNUGGLE in Sept 2019 + more in 2020!

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
How about Judy Blume's THE PAIN AND THE GREAT ONE about a brother and sister who each give their take on having a sibling. Like one of the books mentioned above, this gets flipped over to read the two points of view. Another one that might not be quite what you're trying to find is Peggy Rathman's OFFICER BUCKLE AND GLORIA in which Gloria, the kindly, safety officer's dog, acts out his words behind his back. He thinks he's a big hit with the school children when it's really Gloria.
#5 - July 19, 2015, 07:16 AM
Sheila Welch,  author/illustrator. Don't Call Me Marda, Waiting to Forget, Something in the Air, The Shadowed Unicorn, Little Prince Know-It-All

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Will check them out!
#6 - July 19, 2015, 06:49 PM
How to Wear a Sari (HMH Books/Versify, Spring 2021)
www.darshanakhiani.com - Children's Book Author

www.tammisauer.com
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
Meanwhile Back at the Ranch by Trinka Hakes Noble
#7 - July 20, 2015, 06:12 AM
COMING SOON: Making a Friend*Wordy Birdy Meets Mr. Cougarpants*A Little Chicken*Nugget & Fang, the SEAquel*The Farm that Mac Built & MORE

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Nathan of Yesteryear and Michael of Today by Brian Heinz has two boys who live in the same house years apart. It shows life in both time periods.
#8 - July 20, 2015, 08:30 AM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Members: