SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

quotations

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
If a character in the story is the one doing the talking and is the only charter in the story on most pages. Does the whole story need to be in quotes? Does any of the story need to be in quotes?
#1 - July 08, 2015, 11:24 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
If the character speaks aloud, even to him or herself, the speech goes in quotes. Look through other books, and pay attention to how quotation marks are used.
#2 - July 08, 2015, 12:06 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Chidren's Friendship Expert
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
If the story is written in first person (e.g., I walked down the street...), you don't need to put the text in quotes unless you want to make it clear that your character is speaking aloud (e.g., "Watch out for the pothole!" I told him. "What pothole?" he asked.)
#3 - July 08, 2015, 06:26 PM
Eileen Kennedy-Moore, PhD
author/psychologist
www.EileenKennedyMoore.com
www.GrowingFriendshipsBlog.com *For parents
www.DrFriendtastic.com *FOR KIDS!

There's another way of doing this.

The great British humorist P. G. Wodehouse wrote a large number of golf stories. The stories begin with a scene in which a forlorn young golfer (usually forlorn about love, golf, or both) tells "The Oldest Member," an elderly gent at his club, about his problem. The Oldest Member then offers to tell the young golfer an instructive tale. This scene is rendered with quotation marks.

Then Wodehouse, who obviously doesn't want to have The Oldest Member's entire account in quotation marks, does this:

--The O.M. says that he will now tell the tale.
--there are 2 lines of blank space
--then the tale begins, WITHOUT quotation marks:

Some people (began The Oldest Member) considered that Mortimer Sturgis was too wrapped up in golf. I could never see eye to eye with them. . .

Would this work for you? If it would, maybe citing an authoritative precedent like Wodehouse would quiet an editor who has misgivings.

(The text is from the story "Sundered Hearts," published in 1920.

Best,
Gatz

#4 - July 08, 2015, 07:46 PM
SurfYourOwnMind.com, children's creativity blog currently in development.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
Thank you so much for the advice! I've always had doubts about this...
#5 - August 14, 2015, 06:23 AM

Members: