SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Do I Have To Share The Wish?

Discussion started on

My question is if the PB audience would feel cheated about this, or if it'd be simply bad form not to share. Good or bad, I have reasons for not wanting to share a particular wish that is made at the end of the story.

The "vehicle" used to draw a boy and a star together are wishes they both make. It's clear what the wishes are. At the end of the story, both characters have gotten what they wanted (each other), but the situation organically dictates for the boy to make another wish--since he found his special star.

My reasons for not wanting to share that last wish are: 1) it's not the point and it feels like declaring one takes the reader out of the story; 2) any wish I can think of makes the ending sound trite.

The idea to get around it is: he got his wish, he found his star...BUT wishes are secrets kept between the wisher and their star. Isn't that a "thing?" That you aren't suppose to tell anyone your wish?-----------------------And yet, even if so, the reader knew the star's wish to be found, and the knew the boy's wish to find a special star. In my mind, however, the journey the two have and the wishes they make to find each other is different than the reason the boy had to find a special star to wish upon. (Did that make sense?) Their journey to find each other, and how they found each other, is the story.

I know you've only read what I've described and not the story, but what thoughts pop out? Have I painted myself in a corner? I'm not a skilled writer, so if (or when!) someone replies that a skilled writer could pull it off, well, there's my answer.

Thanks, all!

#1 - October 30, 2015, 06:21 AM
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Einstein.

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
For me not revealing the wish lets readers imagine their own wish, and maybe provides an opportunity for discussion about what the boy might have wished for, and what the reader would wish for in that situation. I think it's better to leave that open-ended, personally.
#2 - October 30, 2015, 08:56 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
I think the "rule" is if you tell anyone your wish, it won't come true. 
 :shootingstar
#3 - October 30, 2015, 01:58 PM
Ten Clever Ninjas (picture book, Clear Fork Publishing, 2019)
Butterfly Girl (middle grade novel, Clear Fork Publishing, 2019)

Twitter: @kidlitSarah

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I so agree that you should consider NOT revealing the wish. Children who will one day read the story all have their own personal wishes.

Sounds delightful!

:goodluck
#4 - October 30, 2015, 02:06 PM

Thank you, thank you, everyone!

Arty made me think when she mentioned it could open a discussion on what the boy might have wished for-----which made me nervous. The story might come in at 400 with half of it about the star, so the boy's life, character, etc. aren't really enough to tell what he might wish for, unless kids might just like to guess even though they don't know enough about him. And that got me thinking....

The boy only wanted to find a special star so he could make a wish; a specific wish isn't mentioned. So, the story could end with the boy thinking what to wish for now that he's found his star.

This seems an acceptable ending.

#5 - October 30, 2015, 02:53 PM
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Einstein.

Members: