SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

working on more than one project at an time

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Before I call it quits for the day, I would like to ask if anyone ever works on more than one story at an time?
I do, if I get to an block for the story, working on some thing else relieves the tension that I am filling at that time
with that story.

So, does anyone else work on two or more works at any time and why?
#1 - August 13, 2015, 12:08 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I do. Like you, I switch projects sometimes when I'm having trouble with the novel I've been trying to write. Other times I get excited by a new idea and take some of my writing time to develop it a bit.

Sometimes I switch projects out of necessity. I'm loving writing my new manuscript right now, but the old one needs a revision before I send it out again.
#2 - August 13, 2015, 05:39 AM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Reader, Writer, Teacher, Wife & Mother
Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Yup! I usually have one fiction and several nonfiction projects going on. It's a great balance.
Vijaya
#3 - August 13, 2015, 05:51 AM
Max & Dagny, Why in the World, Tongue-Tied, Bound, Ten Easter Eggs & 100+ bks/mags
https://vijayabodach.blogspot.com https://bodachbooks.blogspot.com

Oh, yes! Multiple projects. Any variety of YA novels, MG novels, picture books, poem, nonfiction…I work on several at once. Hurricanes of creativity breed tornadoes, that's what.

:) eab
#4 - August 13, 2015, 06:42 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Yep. Picture books. And often sometime later I will realize that two stories I thought were completely different are actually quite similar thematically. Weird.
#5 - August 13, 2015, 07:41 AM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (July, 2020)
DON'T HUG DOUG (Spring, 2021)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
I definitely do this with picture books. If I hit a snarl in one, I swap in another and see if I can't make progress on that while giving my brain time to rest on the problem of the other.

I also do it to keep myself busy when waiting to hear back from editors/agents and to take the pressure of expecting that all my hopes and dreams rests on one project alone. However, I have to admit that it was difficult to come up with more than one project at first and I worried I only had One And Only One Book in me. Now I find that the more ideas I have going -- even if they're just a single sentence captured in a Word doc -- the more ideas come to me.
#6 - August 13, 2015, 10:36 AM
The End of Something Wonderful (Sterling 2019)
Hello, Star (Little Brown 2021)
The League of Picky Eaters (Clarion 2021)
@grubreport

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
I do, too. I just think it's easier. If I write myself into a corner on one project, working on another sparks ideas for breaking out of that corner and into a new tangent. Besides, I think I discover unique twists on ideas that I wouldn't otherwise have found.  :goldstar
#7 - August 13, 2015, 10:42 AM

Chidren's Friendship Expert
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
I like to have a kids book project and a parenting book project going at the same time.
#8 - August 13, 2015, 11:17 AM
Eileen Kennedy-Moore, PhD
author/psychologist
www.EileenKennedyMoore.com
www.GrowingFriendshipsBlog.com *For parents
www.DrFriendtastic.com *FOR KIDS!

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I like having more than one project at a time.    I usually work on several magazine pieces (fiction, nonfiction, poetry) along with my pbs. It's great to sub to magazines while working on pbs. I like having something different to work on when I need a break from a particular piece. Having a few projects often inspires me with new ideas and it makes the waiting easier when I have more things in the works!

Sue
#9 - August 13, 2015, 11:38 AM
FAIRIES, Focus Readers, North Star Editions, 2018
GET OUTSIDE IN WINTER, Focus Readers, Jan.  2019
GET OUTSIDE IN SPRING, Focus Readers, Jan.  2019

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I used to do this and should probably return to it. I was much more productive (in all areas) when I have options for my creative outlets.
#10 - August 13, 2015, 01:06 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Definitely. I'm usually researching one, writing one, editing one, and dreaming of the next.
#11 - August 13, 2015, 04:38 PM
www.Facebook.com/MythRiderBook
- 4RV Publishing, April 2015
NO MORE MR. DAWDLE (Caramel Tree, April 2015)
UNGLUED (Caramel Tree, June 2015)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
The same happens to me, David. I usually work on short texts while writing longer pieces. It helps reaching some balance, especially because working long periods of time on the same thing can make you feel a bit stuck, giving you the feeling that you're not really moving forward. Besides, writing shorter things at the same time can be very rewarding and fun, filling you with the energy you need to work on bigger projects.
#12 - August 14, 2015, 05:00 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Oh, yes!  I find it very  inspirational to have more than one writing project going at once.  If I get stuck or blocked on one, I work on another. 
#13 - August 14, 2015, 01:35 PM

Members: