SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Need Your New Parent Stories

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I'm doing research for a story, and I'd love your help.

New parents are frequently sleep-deprived [understatement]. Whether for your first or subsequent kids, what are some crazy things you did, or heard about others doing, during those early days because of lack of sleep? Were relatives or friends helpful or did they add to your exhaustion? [You don't have to name names.  :whistle]

Thanks for sharing!

#1 - August 18, 2015, 12:45 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I took the cordless house phone to work. Nothing catastrophic just embarrassing when I went looking for my cell and pulled that out of my purse.
#2 - August 18, 2015, 01:33 PM
Odd Animal ABC's (Blue Manatee, 4-2-19)
She Leads: The Elephant Matriarch (Familius, Spring 2020)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
I fell asleep while walking. With the baby in my arms.

She was okay, but it was scary--I knew you could fall asleep standing up, but I didn't know you could do it while you were walking across a room.
#3 - August 18, 2015, 01:43 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
 :lol4, June! Sometimes those house phones are big, too!

Ooh, Dews, scary! I didn't know that was possible either.

#4 - August 18, 2015, 02:23 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
Getting dressed in clothes that are inside out or backwards.

Sounds like a fun story, Jody!
#5 - August 18, 2015, 03:17 PM
I've Got a Tail! - Amicus Ink 2020

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Good one, Julie!
#6 - August 18, 2015, 04:10 PM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Reader, Writer, Teacher, Wife & Mother
Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Dewsy, scary. That happened to Michael when he carried Max around in the middle of the night to calm him down.

Going to the kitchen but not remembering why.
Putting a cup in the washing machine instead of the dishwasher.
Wearing PJs all day long and neighbors saying, "I thought you'd be dressed" and me saying, "I am." And wondering where the food was.

For Max (my first), Michael and I made pizzas for all the family when they came to see the baby. Exhausting. I thought they were supposed to bring food for me.

yeah, I'm highly food oriented.

Great topic! I can tell you'll have a lot of fun writing this.
Vijaya

#7 - August 18, 2015, 06:00 PM
TONGUE-TIED (Heinemann, 2019) BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018) TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015) & 100+ bks/mags
https://vijayabodach.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Ha! Vijaya, love the cup anecdote. These stories are great.

Keep em comin, folks.

#8 - August 18, 2015, 06:20 PM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

I love these stories!

I don't remember anything that weird. But boy, was I tired. Instead of sleeping when my baby slept, I walked around aimlessly doing dumb things like fluffing pillows and shuffling papers. I felt like I was being productive but I wasn't at all! With my first daughter, I spent a lot of time nursing in the rocking chair in the middle of the night while watching Harry Potter.
#9 - August 18, 2015, 06:45 PM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Honestly, the only thing I did when I had four babies within 5 years was to just sleep, whenever. I never cared about "the right thing to do." When it was nap time, we all pig-piled in safety on a bed or the floor; or some did, while others were in cribs; at many times, I fell asleep with one kid on my chest and the others dropping off on the floor to TV shows like Blue's Clues. Honestly, doing that -- be able to do that, being okay with doing that -- was what made the early years fun. No nearby family. Husband worked full time, went to school full time (and, full disclosure, he did ALL the night times, because it was one of the few times he got to see the kids other than weekends). So, honestly, we were both sleep-deprived!

#10 - August 18, 2015, 06:53 PM

One of my favorite things my husband did when he was sleep-deprived was only half-wake up when the baby cried and then say complete nonsense things. One night he very earnestly said, after getting up to check on her, "I just realized, she has five fingers on her left hand, but only four on her right." (The baby had all ten fingers and toes.)

V, I was totally obsessed with food, too. Thankfully, family supplied us with food whenever they came to visit. But the visits were still a little more often that I liked, because it's HARD to have house guests and care for a baby who only napped if I was holding her for the first eight months of her life. (I read a lot of e-books during her naps.)
#11 - August 18, 2015, 07:52 PM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
You just reminded me about months of drinking cold cups of tea. They just wouldn't stay hot for long enough for me to get to them in time!
#12 - August 18, 2015, 07:59 PM

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Oh, how I longed for a hot drink, Julie! Or a hot meal. :)
#13 - August 18, 2015, 08:38 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
It took us two hours to get ready for our first pediatrician appointment because we just couldn't get our [poo] together with the diaper bag and the napping and the changing and the inordinate amount of time it seemed to take to safely get him in his car seat.
#14 - August 18, 2015, 08:59 PM
The End of Something Wonderful (Sterling 2019)
Hello, Star (Little Brown 2021)
The League of Picky Eaters (Clarion 2021)
@grubreport

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Also crazy, though possibly not the crazy you're looking for: we thought it was a GOOD idea to try and figure out how the hands-free breast pump strapped to my bras on our first night home from the hospital. It was a disaster given our three nights lack of sleep in the hospital. And it led to baby's pediatrician telling me I was engorged the next day.
#15 - August 18, 2015, 09:01 PM
The End of Something Wonderful (Sterling 2019)
Hello, Star (Little Brown 2021)
The League of Picky Eaters (Clarion 2021)
@grubreport

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
(HD - I hear ya!)
#16 - August 18, 2015, 11:40 PM

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Dionna

When my youngest girl was new & my oldest was just 19 months, I went grocery shopping. The only nice store near my house back then was about 40 minutes away. Also, back then, the bagger would bring your groceries out, wait for you to pull up , then put the grocerise in the trunk for you. After the ORDEAL of shopping and getting the girls in their car seats, I drove home, only to pop the trunk to realize I had forgotten the groceries. Fortunately, once the bagger realized I was gone, he rolled my cart into the refrigerated storage so my husband could pick them up later.

#17 - August 19, 2015, 04:31 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
The year: 1996. I was bleary-eyed with lack of sleep. My four-year old daughter was watching Blues Clues. The baby was sleeping in my arms. She did not sleep at night! Through the haze I looked at Steve, the main character. I thought Wow. That guy is weird-looking. No bone structure. Wonder what he looks like naked.
My husband thought this was the funniest story ever. He sometimes reminds me of my 'Steve' moment.
That same year I also fell asleep kneeling at the side of the bed and my oldest daughter decorated me with beanie babies.
#18 - August 19, 2015, 05:34 AM
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 05:36 AM by Helen »

I remember a few things. Telling myself through tears that at some point before he turns 18 he'll sleep through the night, so if I can just get through one more day we'll be closer to the day that happened. Chanting "We're all right, we're all right" to the two of us while he cried.

Listening for the clink of his plastic binky falling out of his mouth.  We'd scramble to his room to get it back in his mouth before he woke up.

One night he would just not go to sleep, wanted me to hold him, cried when I put him back in the crib. (my hubby works nights so I was by myself.) So I took off my nightgown and put it in the crib with him and he fell right asleep.  (can't remember if I even bothered putting on another one.) I guess I was thinking maybe the smell of me would comfort him?
#19 - August 19, 2015, 06:04 AM
MG-SCHOOL OF CHARM
BACK ON THE MAP
Scholastic CB series:
ENCHANTED PONY ACADEMY
THE WISH FAIRY
MERMAIDS TO THE RESCUE '19
PB-GOODNIGHT LAGOON '19

Reader, Writer, Teacher, Wife & Mother
Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I love these stories. Helen, that's too funny about your Steve moment.

Jenna, pig pile is the best.

Vijaya
#20 - August 19, 2015, 08:06 AM
TONGUE-TIED (Heinemann, 2019) BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018) TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015) & 100+ bks/mags
https://vijayabodach.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Oh my gosh, I feel so sorry for all of us all over again! And yet I'm giggling at the number of fingers, at Steve, at the left-behind groceries, at the cold meals and drinks, at the breast pump, and I'm melting at the nightgown and the pig pile. Great parents are so great. Love these stories.
#21 - August 19, 2015, 12:02 PM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Dionna

Oh my gosh, I feel so sorry for all of us all over again! And yet I'm giggling at the number of fingers, at Steve, at the left-behind groceries, at the cold meals and drinks, at the breast pump, and I'm melting at the nightgown and the pig pile. Great parents are so great. Love these stories.

Me too, Jody!! What a great thread! :like
#22 - August 19, 2015, 01:11 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Oh, I have a 14 month old, so this is still pretty fresh in my mind! Husband was wonderful in letting me sleep! I would could give you the scoop on more specifics if you send me an email nina [at] ninamansfield [dot] com. I don't want to share my negatives in public ;)

And it's not just the early days. The other day I put 2 different sneakers on to go to my stroller exercise class!
#23 - August 20, 2015, 06:44 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Were they at least a right and a left, Nina? :) I sent you an email.
#24 - August 20, 2015, 07:17 AM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Cold tea! Oh, yes, every day. That still happens sometimes. (My son is 20 months now.) And reading while holding a sleeping baby. All of it, really.

My husband and I had to take turns to eat. Or sometimes I'd nurse the baby during dinner, kind of sitting half-turned in my chair so I couldn't drop anything hot on him.

My son cried whenever we put him down. But when he was about five weeks old, he got interested in this mobile that would play a song for about thirty seconds at a time. I remember being so relieved that I could put him down for thirty seconds without having him cry. I would crank that mobile up all the way and run to the bathroom and rush to pee as fast as I could. Never did quite get back to him before the crying restarted, but I came close.

One evening the baby was crying and I had to change his diaper but there wasn't a plastic liner in the diaper pail so I went to the other room to get one and all the tasks I had to do broke into little pieces of glass in my head and started dancing around. Don't ask me to explain; I don't get it either. All I know is I didn't know anything, including my own name, for about five minutes.
#25 - August 30, 2015, 04:11 PM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
MelissaK, :lol5. You must've been REALLY tired! I remember taking turns with my husband at restaurants so we could eat in peace, one at a time, of course, but it worked.
#26 - August 30, 2015, 08:09 PM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Members: