SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

When would you status query?

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I need some advice about when to status query.

I have two fiction manuscripts being considered by editors - one at Spider and one at Humpty Dumpty. Both are for their November issues.

The one for Spider is a revise and resubmit, emailed at the beginning of June directly to the editor's email by their invitation. But I haven't heard anything back, and November is around the corner. Should I status query in a couple of weeks? That would make it 3 months from the time of my r&r. Or should I wait longer? And how should I status query? Email since that is how I subbed the r&r or through Submittable? In the response time section of our boards, it looks like r&rs took about 2 months in the past.

I don't want to bother anyone though, especially if they are still considering my manuscript!

I haven't heard back from Humpty Dumpty either, which makes me wonder if I am just way overestimating the amount of time this whole process takes (or if I'm going to get 2 rejections. That would be the pits.) At any rate, I wasn't planning to sq Humpty Dumpty yet. They requested an electronic copy less than 2 months ago, and on their Twitter posts, it looks like they only recently finished working on the Sept/Oct issue.

#1 - August 25, 2015, 08:28 AM
Anita N. Amin
RAJA’S PET CAMEL (Cardinal Rule Press, 2020); THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019) And more in 2020-2021

Poster Plus
I would say, if they are for the November issues, that you are going to know one way or the other soon without querying. I'd just be patient and wait to see what shows up in your mail. Hoping for good news for you!
#2 - August 25, 2015, 06:23 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
That's what I'll do then - wait. Thanks, Cindy!
#3 - August 25, 2015, 06:45 PM
Anita N. Amin
RAJA’S PET CAMEL (Cardinal Rule Press, 2020); THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019) And more in 2020-2021

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Starfish, I'd do a status query now because most issues are planned at least 3-4 mo in advance. I don't see it as bothering anyone, just being on top of things.
Good luck, Vijaya
#4 - August 25, 2015, 07:13 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Thanks, Vijaya. Would you send it by email?
#5 - August 25, 2015, 08:12 PM
Anita N. Amin

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I agree with Vijaya. Status query now. Good luck!
#6 - August 25, 2015, 09:07 PM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I would absolutely status query by email!
#7 - August 26, 2015, 10:28 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Oh, yes, email, since you already have a working relationship with the editor.
Good luck, Starfish.
Vijaya
#8 - August 26, 2015, 11:07 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Thanks, Jenna, Barbara, Vijaya and Cindy! I went ahead and emailed a query late last night, because there's that part of me that keeps wondering, "What if they didn't get my revision? If I wait too long, it will be too late." Or maybe they're considering it for a later issue. I'm still hopeful since I haven't gotten a rejection yet. We'll see what happens. I'm so glad I came to the boards for advice though. Thank you all!
#9 - August 26, 2015, 12:11 PM
Anita N. Amin

Good luck, Starfish!  :goodluck I was also going to suggest SQ'ing, since the manuscripts are specifically for the November issue and it sounds like you've had correspondence. Yes, I'd go with email if that's how you corresponded before.

But how do you know the Spider sub is for the November issue? As far as I know, they don't do themed issues. Is that something they told you? Because if it's a November theme, it's possible they could be considering it for a year or more down the road, unless they stated otherwise. I'm not sure how Humpty Dumpty works.

In any case, congrats on the interest! Sounds promising.
#10 - August 26, 2015, 03:26 PM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
New!
Thanks, Diana! The editors specifically mentioned the November issues in their emails.

For Spider, the editor told me if I would like my revision considered for the Nov 2015 issue, they would need my revision by June 8. My story is a Diwali story, and Diwali normally falls in Nov. Maybe they think it needs more work and it's being considered for the following year? I don't know. I did add quite a bit to the story, doubling the word count and including more factual information, so maybe that increased the review time.

For Humpty Dumpty, the editor told me my story is being considered for the Nov issue (I assumed this year but maybe not) and requested an electronic copy of my manuscript. This is not a holiday story and could really relate to any month. I haven't SQ'ed them yet since I sent them the electronic copy only 6 weeks ago. Should I SQ them too? I was going to wait until Sept 10 to make it 2 months since my last correspondence.
#11 - August 26, 2015, 05:15 PM
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 05:18 PM by Starfish »
Anita N. Amin

Members: