SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Rules for Using Scrapbook Paper in Illustrations?

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Hello! This question came up in a discussion elsewhere on the Internet and wasn't really answered. Namely, can you use patterned scrapbook paper in the creation of illustrations for a book that will be published? Or are those patterned papers protected from commercial use because of copyright law, even if they're transformed into backgrounds and bits and pieces of a larger image? Thanks.
#1 - August 26, 2015, 05:42 PM

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Hi Christina. You may want to check out this previous thread. There is a reply about three or four posts down referring to patterned paper. It has some good information.
https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?topic=51977.msg632298#msg632298

E.T.A. that above link takes you directly to the reply about patterned paper and it's use/possible-issues in illustration.
#2 - August 26, 2015, 06:16 PM
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 06:23 PM by Cynthia Kremsner »
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Thanks! I did a search using "scrapbook paper"--patterned paper would've made more sense! I'll go check that out.
#3 - August 26, 2015, 08:56 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
I have the same doubt regarding fabrics. Do you think the same rule applies?
#4 - August 31, 2015, 01:20 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I think it would (I used to know an artist who was paid to design fabric patterns for the interior of airplanes!). I recall while researching this topic coming across a discussion in which the artist actually contacted fabric companies to find out the rules, and it was pretty complicated. But I don't know the ins and outs, because where would you stop...especially if you do quilting or patchwork or sewn illustrations, what else could you sew with other than fabric? And what if you photograph kids wearing clothing? Oy. The mind boggles! I wish I could be of more help. I bet fabric artists/illustrators out there have blogs that address that issue? Or the copyright pages of books that have fabric illos?
#5 - August 31, 2015, 01:26 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
Thanks for your reply, Christina! I love using fabrics in collages, but this discussion made me reconsider it.
I've been looking for information over the web, but it's really hard to find! I'll keep looking. Hugs! :)
#6 - September 01, 2015, 02:49 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Sure is! I will jump back on here in future if I find out anything in the course of time. :bunny2
#7 - September 01, 2015, 02:51 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Hey Mercedes--I just ran across this quotation while researching how Lauren Child (of "Clarice Bean" fame) does her collage illustrations. She writes: " The most important thing for me is the fabric I use in the books. I photocopy the patterns and reproduce them for my characters' clothes. In Charlie and Lola, the pyjamas Lola wears are made from the fabric of an old nightdress that my mother made for me when I was a baby."

Now, granted, that old nightdress may be in the range of 40-50 years old, but it doesn't sound like she limits herself to childhood remnants. So I still don't have any answers on the fabric issue for you!
#8 - September 29, 2015, 10:13 AM

Members: