SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Craft book for early readers and Middle Grade

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles

Could anybody suggest good craft books - specifically to do with writing for Early readers and/ or Middle Grade.

Many thanks

Liz
#1 - September 10, 2015, 06:06 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Liz, check out "Writing Irresistible Kidlit" by Mary Kole. It focuses on YA and MG writing. In fact, I belong to a FB group called "Word by Word Book Club" where we take a few months to study a writing craft book and have a discussion each week on a chapter of the book. We start "Writing Irresistible Kidlit" on Thursday, 9/24 and will discuss it till mid-December. So if you're on FB, look for us and request to be added to the group!

Deb
#2 - September 10, 2015, 06:29 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
I agree with Deb. Mary Kole's book is excellent!
#3 - September 10, 2015, 07:36 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Thank you so much!
I'm going to order it straightaway.
So kind of you to invite me to your FB group. I'll definitely look for you there.

thanks again

Liz
#4 - September 11, 2015, 01:17 AM

Another thumbs up here for Mary Kole's book.  Also check out Cheryl Klein's "Second Sight: An Editor's Talks on Writing, Revising, and Publishing Books for Children and Young Adults"
#5 - September 11, 2015, 05:58 AM
MG-SCHOOL OF CHARM
BACK ON THE MAP
Scholastic CB series:
ENCHANTED PONY ACADEMY
THE WISH FAIRY
MERMAIDS TO THE RESCUE '19
PB-GOODNIGHT LAGOON '19

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
The funny thing is I have not even read the book. I don't write MG or YA, I write PBs. And the first few books we studied were for PBs, so when I volunteered to take the lead on the next book (Mary Kole's) I had no idea we were doing one for longer works! Oh well, my philosophy is that it's always good to read any craft book that is well respected. . . .regardless if it directly applies to my writing or not. I've had a few crit partners tell me I would have a great MG voice, so who knows what happens as we discuss this book. EVERYONE is welcome to look for the Word by Word Book Club FB group and ask to join. The more the merrier!
#6 - September 11, 2015, 06:39 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
"Second Sight" is one of my favorites too! Excellent book!

Thank you so much for your invitation Deb! I've just asked to join the Word by Word Book Club.

Hugs and happy weekend everyone!
#7 - September 11, 2015, 07:57 AM

Members: