Coursera: writing for young children course

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
Here's a great online course on writing for young children:

https://www.coursera.org/learn/writing-for-children

Here's some more info about it:

"This course is for curious students and aspiring authors with a passion for writing for young readers. Participate in a dynamic online community of writers as you experiment with your own writing and develop your voice. This course will guide you with a combination of video lectures, online readings, peer reviews, and guest appearances from world-renowned children’s authors. As you work through the writing exercises, you will give and receive feedback from your peers and gain tools and techniques for improving your writing.

During this course you will identify stories that matter to you, explore cultural significance and boundaries, and shape your identity as a writer; become familiar with standard elements of narrative (character, setting, plot, theme, language, dialogue, point of view); reflect on your own work and practice essential self-editing skills; see the different ways in which words and art interact, and the possibilities of longer narrative forms; come away with practical insights into publishing options; and create a plan for pursuing your enthusiasm for writing. By the end of the course, you will have ten to twelve extracts of writing that you can develop into a portfolio."

Hope you find it useful!  :stars3 :love5

Hugs! :)
#1 - September 10, 2015, 08:09 AM
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 08:11 AM by Mercedes Ortiz »

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
This looks very interesting, thank you!
#2 - September 11, 2015, 08:58 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Hope you like it Laurie! Hugs! :)
#3 - September 14, 2015, 07:49 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Mercedes--thanks for the post, but I wasn't able to locate on the website how "young" young is. PB? MG? Nor on the cost of the course. Can you please direct? Thanks!
#4 - September 14, 2015, 07:53 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Hi Margo!

The course is free, but I'm not sure about the exact age range. According to the video about audience, I believe it includes all types of kidlit (PB, MG, etc., and even YA).

Hope you find it helpful! Hugs! :)
#5 - September 14, 2015, 08:03 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Thanks Mercedes!
#6 - September 14, 2015, 10:55 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
You're welcome, Margo! Hope you enjoy the course!

Hugs! :)

Mercedes
#7 - September 25, 2015, 06:02 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I found the idea of a free online class intriguing, so I looked into it a bit and located the following review. It is from 2012, so it may be outdated.  http://www.teachthought.com/trends/elearning/coursera-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

Have any of you completed the course? What are your thoughts?
#8 - September 27, 2015, 04:52 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I'm still in the first lesson -I'm in video 5 or 6- and I'm liking it so far. Lessons are plain, clear and easy to follow.
#9 - October 28, 2015, 02:12 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I'd not ever come across this. Thanks for sharing! Can't beat the price. I am not familiar with the authors, but will look into the course.
#10 - October 30, 2015, 03:17 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I really hope you like it, Marianne! :)
#11 - October 31, 2015, 04:38 AM

Members: