SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Endings

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
 :sadcry Heading into the end of a major rewrite. I'm struggling with a couple ways my ending can go. Does the MC always solve his own problem? Can outside sources/characters do it? Partake or be a major influence on it? It's been a while since I've finished and am feeling a bit lost. Any help would be appreciated.  :running
#1 - September 13, 2015, 09:22 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
I think the MC has to at least be an active participant in his/her own resolution, but others can be involved. So if your MC is hanging off a cliff, someone could toss her a rope--but then she needs to scramble up it on her own.
 :goodluck
#2 - September 13, 2015, 10:17 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I think the solution HAS to involve the MC. There are some things that a kid MC simply can't do (ie they can't be the police who show up on horseback to handcuff the bad guy)--however, there are things the kid can set in motion through clearly their own efforts that can bring that help to them. (Kid who has a thing for carrier pigeons lures a bird close enough to send out a cry for help). They need to make the crucial difference--ie if it wasn't for their specific actions, things would have never worked out.
#3 - September 14, 2015, 05:02 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
 :yourock :yourock

Helpful! Thanks guys.
#4 - September 14, 2015, 07:03 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
I'm always afraid of falling in the deus ex machina trap! Thanks for the excellent explanations, Rose and Katie!

Hugs! :)
#5 - September 26, 2015, 07:51 AM

Members: