SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Course exam, do not want answers

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I am at an loss as I do not understand. I intend to call the school tomorrow and ask about this but for now, I just need to ask.

The story I submitted was for an Early Picture Book, targeting the 2-4 age group.

They ask for an character study and I both, the character study and manuscript. They ask for name, when she was born and her age. The character is between 4-5 years old. I answer both. Then they ask for appearance and relationship with others. That is where I get lost. Appearance, OK but relationships, well she is an child and loner. How can I answer that. They ask how the character started in the story. That confuses me. I am going to ask tomorrow. What does the character want? I don't know. She plays make beleive and copies stories that have been read to her, playing out the stories.

They did say the manuscript was OK but to short. They want about 500 words but I haven't saw an EPB that long.

I was told an EPB would be OK.

Again, I do not want any help but would like to hear what you think or should I just start over with an new work?
#1 - September 17, 2015, 07:06 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
David, I don't do PBs, so take with many grains of salt--but I think they do want a character arc, even in a PB. That is, the character should change, and should certainly want something. It may not be very complex, given the format, but I suspect there needs to be tension and conflict, even in a PB.

:goodluck
#2 - September 17, 2015, 07:32 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
Hi David!

About relationships, maybe they want to know about your character's family and friends, and how he/she gets along with them.

I agree with Katie. When they ask how the character started, they probably want to understand a little better about his/her evolution throughout the story.

Even in picture books, your characters has to want something, a goal that he/she wants to achieve. You also have to clarify what obstacles the child will encounter, what's on the way between him/her and his/her goals. What's the conflict? Like Katie says, this will build tension and rise the stakes, making your story more exciting.

Hope youfind my comments helpful. Remember to take them with a TON of salt, because I'm a complete newbie at writing Picture Books.

Good luck! :)

Mercedes
#3 - September 25, 2015, 06:00 AM

Members: