SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Does anyone know a middle-school guidance counselor?

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew a middle-school guidance counselor who would be willing to read 4 1/2 pages for me and tell me if it rings true.  I worked hard on the scene, but I want to make sure I didn't make any blunders. Also, I want it to sound current. The protagonist is called into the counselor's office for making a disturbance in class (caused by problems at home). 
#1 - October 04, 2015, 07:48 AM

Amy, it's been a few years, but I have an Masters in Social Work with a specialty in school social work. I could provide feedback on whether or not what the counselor says follows the rules of a trained counselor and what kind of consequences a kid might face at school. But I wouldn't be able to provide exact guidance on academic repercussions, since I was a counselor only. If this sounds useful to you, please send me your email address via the Contact a Moderator button, and I'll send you mine. ::-)

I also want to say how glad I am that you are checking this. Far too often in children's lit, I see counselors doing things that would be completely unethical and even illegal for a counselor to do.
#2 - October 04, 2015, 11:01 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Amy, your message to moderator HDWestlund (Holly) went through -- she's not on the board just now. The way to leave her your email is to hit the "report a moderator" button again and put your email in the message area for that. She'll be able to pick it up the next time she's on the board, probably later this evening.
#3 - October 04, 2015, 04:09 PM
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 04:11 PM by AnneB »

Hi, Amy. Anne is right. I should have made it more clear, what I expected to have happen. ::-) I also see you sent me a message through SCBWI messages. I have a toddler, and I plan to pick up my message and email you tonight after she's in bed.
#4 - October 04, 2015, 04:36 PM

Members: