SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Guided Reading Levels

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
When I want to know the ATOS level of a manuscript I'm writing, I cut and paste my text into the ATOS analyzer. I'm wondering if there's a similar tool for determining Guided Reading Levels (A, F, J, K, etc). Also, how are ATOS and GRL similar to or different from a Flesch-Kincaid reading level?

Free cookies to anyone who can explain!

Jody

#1 - September 30, 2015, 04:53 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I use a Lexile analyzer typically and it's been very reliable for targeting the complexity of a sentence. I can't find the website where they compared the text using different algorithms but here's a chart for conversion (but it doesn't have ATOS) http://help.pearsoncmg.com/xl/mfdl/instructor/ccng/Content/assign_mngr/lexile_conversion.htm

I think if you're looking for a particular way a publisher grades their books, I've not seen anything like it.

A quickie google search brought up something I could download, comparing FK to F&P: http://www.minnehaha.biz/nfo/flesch-kincaid-comparison-to-fountas-and-pinnel/

So, do I get a cookie?
V
#2 - September 30, 2015, 07:43 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Here's another conversion chart, but it does not include ATOS. https://www.readinga-z.com/learninga-z-levels/level-correlation-chart/

I don't know what ATOS level you're targeting, but in my experience, ATOS 2.0 to 3.0 ROUGHLY correlates to about J through O in Reading Recovery and Lexile 550 to 650. I figured this out through my own convoluted process, so proceed carefully.

Is that cookie worthy? :-)
#3 - September 30, 2015, 07:58 PM
ALIENS GET THE SNIFFLES TOO! Candlewick, 2017
LOUD LULA, Two Lions 2015
CALIFORNIA HISTORY FOR KIDS, CRP
FARMER MCPEEPERS Rising Moon

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Cookies for two!

Thanks, ladies. I was just using ATOS as an example. I'm really wondering if there's a tool like ATOS analyzer to establish GRLs. I'll check out the links you mentioned. [Edited] Vijaya, does Lexile mean F-P GRLs? Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with the lingo.

Thank you for the useful comparison charts!
#4 - October 01, 2015, 04:26 AM
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 04:37 AM by JodyJS »
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Jody, to my knowledge, there is not an analyzer for F&P Guided Reading Levels. If you run across one though I hope you'll share! I've found the F&P levels difficult to figure out.
#5 - October 01, 2015, 05:46 AM
ALIENS GET THE SNIFFLES TOO! Candlewick, 2017
LOUD LULA, Two Lions 2015
CALIFORNIA HISTORY FOR KIDS, CRP
FARMER MCPEEPERS Rising Moon

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Jody,

There is not tool that I know of. Whenever I've had a text with Guided Reading Levels, the publisher has used an outside expert to determine the book's levels. My understanding is that GRL has just as much to do with the text itself as the pictures, charts, etc., which is why we can't run it through an analyzer.

Hope that helps,

Kirsten
#6 - October 01, 2015, 06:17 AM
Kirsten W. Larson
--
WOOD, WIRE, WINGS (Calkins Creek, 2020)
CECILIA PAYNE: MAKING OF A STAR (SCIENTIST) (Chronicle, 2021)

kirsten-w-larson.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Katy,

I was poking around this morning and found this tool, http://www.scholastic.com/bookwizard/, for which you can enter an existing book title and find results for a variety of leveling systems.

And you'd have to hunt and peck a bit here, but on this tool, https://www.rcowen.com/BYL-FP-BC.htm, you could find out word counts for different F-P levels (purple box on the left-ish side).

I'm still looking for a tool that will analyze my work in terms of F&P.
#7 - October 01, 2015, 06:24 AM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Good links to have, Jody. But my experience is similar to Kirsten's. When I'm in that writing mode, so much is intuitive and I can usually hit the mark. I found Alijandra Moligner's Word Book to be a huge help when I first began writing leveled readers. I only run my text through an analyzer if the specs demand they be a certain lexile level. For F&P levels I just sat down and read a whole bunch of them to get a feel for how the grading is done. Always, it's the publisher that assigns the actual level.

Thanks for the cookie!
Vijaya
#8 - October 01, 2015, 07:07 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Thanks, Vijaya. I know what you mean; after you've read a few, you understand what level works for the target audience.

I also posted this question on Yahoo's Nonfiction for Kids list, and here's some more help. I didn't realize the ATOS-to-F&P connection.

Hi Jody,
I'm also working on a project with a target F&P level, and was told by the publisher to use the ATOS analyzer and a conversion chart like this one:
http://www.speedingstar.com/supplied_html/RL_Chart.pdf
(Guided Reading Level corresponds to F&P, and no, my project isn't actually with Speeding Star).
 A search for "reading level conversion chart" will turn up many such charts.
Hope that helps!
#9 - October 01, 2015, 11:39 AM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Wow, what a fantastic tool! Thank you for sharing it! I'm writing a piece for elementary age children and when I ran my text through it I was able to see that I am writing just where I want to be. I did find this link showing the grade levels that correspond to ATOS levels, if it helps:
http://www.corestandards.org/assets/E0813_Appendix_A_New_Research_on_Text_Complexity.pdf

It looks like it takes the ATOS scores by grade level, Lexile, Flesch-Kincaid, and reading maturity. I didn't see the Guided Reading levels but I think you can cross-reference those with some of these measures.

Thank you again! It made my day!
#10 - October 02, 2015, 07:21 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Thanks, Jennifer! If we look in enough places, we'll eventually get what we need.  ;)
#11 - October 02, 2015, 09:33 AM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
What a useful thread. We not only have great information for our current and future projects but cookies as well :grin3  Thanks for asking the question Jody.

Vijaya
#12 - October 02, 2015, 10:47 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Here are some extras for the weekend.  :cookie :cookie :cookie

#13 - October 02, 2015, 01:45 PM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
My favorite tool for this is a reading teacher. Those ladies know intuitively what level a text is.
#14 - October 05, 2015, 03:03 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Members: