SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

International payment methods?

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Hi,

I´m curious how other authors who live in Europe but do occasional projects for American publishers receive their payments.  I have lived in Iceland for a year now, but still have a bank account in America.  At the moment, I am asking publishers to send the check to my old address, where my long-suffering brother then has to deposit it for me, but I really need to change this system at some point.  I realize I need to ask lots of questions at my bank, which I haven't gotten around to yet, but I was just wondering how others manage?
#1 - October 15, 2015, 01:28 AM

Depends on your bank, and the publisher, I guess - but I have some international clients who get their payments direct deposited right into their account. (Some set-ups won't allow for that - in that case, it's wired, which does have a small fee attached. Don't ask me what the difference is, it seems the same to ME, but I'm not a banker!)
#2 - October 15, 2015, 07:09 AM
twitter: @literaticat
ask the agent: http://literaticat.tumblr.com/ask

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
I like direct electronic payments the best, but also have checks/cheques sent (which incur a small fee). Depends on the publisher and your bank.
#3 - October 15, 2015, 02:19 PM
My Australia - National Library of Australia (April 2018)
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink (August 2018)

www.juliemurphybooks.com

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Thanks, I´ll definitely have to check with my bank, and do some research on Iceland's regulations about importing money, which I think are a little odd ever since the financial crisis!
#4 - October 16, 2015, 12:02 AM

Members: