SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Stressed Syllables?

Discussion started on

Can someone explain to be the concept of stressed syllables? I'm used to all sorts of different rhyming patterns, yet it still escapes me how to stress words.

I can't strESS that enough! :D

This will indirectly help my prose, as I got the circular rhyme pattern down. But not the stressing. How stressing!

(Well I don't have everything down, I often confuse me and my.:C)
#1 - November 10, 2015, 07:28 PM
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 07:31 PM by SarahW »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Hi SarahW,

Tammi Sauer mentioned this website, rhymeweaver.com, on another thread about rhyming. It explains stressed/unstressed syllables. There are other good websites that explain it, too. I like Dori Chaconas's, http://www.dorichaconas.com/Icing%20the%20Cake%20page.htm.

The easy answer is stressed syllables are those you say louder and higher than other syllables in a word. For instance, take the word "excuse," as in the reason you give for not going to lunch with your friend. We pronounce it "ex-CUSE," with the second sound being emphasized or stressed. On the other hand, "Robert" is pronounced "ROB-ert," with the stress on the first syllable.

That's it.

When you rhyme, though, it's important that you write (and read) your work naturally, the way you actually speak and not unnaturally, for the sake of the rhythm.

Hope this is what you need.
#2 - November 11, 2015, 05:17 AM
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 05:18 AM by JodyJS »
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Thanks I'll be sure to take a look! I'm thinking of starting with poetry books to break in while trying to write my next middle grade novella.

Oh and as an aside, I'm actually not thinking of a picture book but rather the structure of an epic poem. But without the epic adventure. I'll see if I can figure it out.
#3 - November 11, 2015, 10:58 PM
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 11:13 PM by SarahW »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
The rhymeweaver explanation is quite good. I personally use dictionary.com to look up all words with more than 1 syllable to find out exactly which syllable is stressed naturally. With some practice it gets easier to hear.
#4 - November 12, 2015, 04:34 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I look up words too. Merriam Websters even has a little microphone icon and reads the word to you if you click on it.

For another example, let's take this word: Present. Give me one and it's a PREsent. But I could preSENT it to you. It's stress that creates rhythm. I tap or snap out the rhythm as I write to make sure the stresses are correct.

#5 - November 23, 2015, 03:40 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Here's another basic guide to rhythm and meter:

http://www.poetry4kids.com/blog/news/rhythm-in-poetry-the-basics/

I like the examples, and the capitalization makes the stresses easy to spot.
#6 - November 23, 2015, 10:25 PM
AN EYEBALL IN MY GARDEN, Marshall Cavendish Children's Books
www.LauraWynkoop.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Sometimes, if I'm not sure, I'll say the word aloud both ways--AP-pull or ap-PULL. That a cheat that helps me figure it out. :-)
#7 - November 24, 2015, 08:55 AM
ALIENS GET THE SNIFFLES TOO! Candlewick, 2017
LOUD LULA, Two Lions 2015
CALIFORNIA HISTORY FOR KIDS, CRP
FARMER MCPEEPERS Rising Moon

Also if I'm not sure I would try saying the word quickly and then slowly to determine where the stressed part of the word lies.     ::-)
#8 - November 24, 2015, 11:43 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
The rhymeweaver explanation is quite good. I personally use dictionary.com to look up all words with more than 1 syllable to find out exactly which syllable is stressed naturally. With some practice it gets easier to hear.

Me too! Isn't it so cool and helpful!
#9 - November 24, 2015, 11:50 AM
'Vehicle Dreams Series' Running Press Kids
Race Car Dreams 2016
Bulldozer Dreams 2017
Fire Truck Dreams 2018
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale 2015

I'll take a look at the rhyme weaver then. I have difficulty with other poetry devices, o'er and o'er again.
#10 - November 25, 2015, 11:24 PM

Members: