SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Different Media Approach?

Discussion started on

Would the social media one would use if they prefer literary over commercial be different? If so what would be said networks that cater more to the literary crowd and less the commercial crowd?

By this I mean networking with people that while they write kid lit, don't necessarily like the traditional idea of plot. And maybe prefer stories that instead of 'happy' ending prefer satisfying yet logical or believable endings. Said endings sometimes end more like real life would.

Like how real life doesn't just stop or tie neatly in a bow.

It seems a lot of the writerly crowd I find on twitter tend to be more Science Fiction and Fantasy, and less say Mary Poppins and Bridge To Terribithia.

Hope that question makes sense.
#1 - November 12, 2015, 12:35 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
* following
#2 - November 12, 2015, 06:07 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I am not sure there's a clear cut answer.  Anne Ursu and Linda Urban and Cynthia Lord are all very active on Twitter and their work is all literary.  You might just not be following the right people.
#3 - November 12, 2015, 07:05 AM
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
VAMPIRINA AT THE BEACH (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

I might see about unfollowing some inactives at first then. I used to market myself as a cyberpunk writer (I still do this, but I combine adventure fantasy and cyberpunk fiction now) I used to get flooded with a bunch of hard science fiction type writers who I had nothing in common with.
#4 - November 12, 2015, 11:54 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
  • SCBWI PAL
Maybe rather than looking on Twitter for people to follow, you need to first find the books that are most like what you're talking about and then see if those authors have Twitter accounts. It's so hard to judge on Twitter from somebody's tiny profile as to whether they really have a commonality with you or not. I'd work in reverse.

Find the books, then find the authors and go to whatever platform(s) they use. That will probably give you a trail of "bread crumbs" to follow from there as you see who else follows that author, and who follows them, etc. Far easier and likely more productive than just trying to blindly find people to follow.
#5 - November 16, 2015, 07:06 AM
http://jenniferderrick.com/
http://blueeyedreindeer.com/

Broken Fate: Threads of The Moirae Book 1  - YA Fantasy (Clean Teen Publishing, 2016)

So like follow William Gibson, H.P. Lovecraft, and P.L. Travers? And whoever that one screenwriter is.
#6 - November 25, 2015, 11:43 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
For referrals to literature that may resemble HP Lovecraft, you might take a look at the twitter feed for the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society: @HPLHS

For other literary children's discussion maybe try Literary Classics @CLCBookAwards
#7 - November 26, 2015, 11:22 AM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
Book Friends Bookshop
KidLit Agents/Editors at Conferences, Workshops/Retreats/Online Workshops
twitter @VonnaCarter

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Sarah, you might find it helpful to read some of the books and short stories that have been nominated in the past few years for awards by members of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA), the World Science Fiction Society (WSFS), and Horror Writers Association (HWA) members, as well as ones nominated by the various conventions.

For instance, if you search online for "SFWA awards" you get this page of the Nebula awards presented in 2015. Scroll down the page to find the Andre Norton awards for YA SF and Fantasy.
#8 - November 27, 2015, 08:44 PM

New!
Alright I'll try SFWA, HPLHS, and I've recently decided Poets.org. Not sure if there is a Poets.org equivalent for SCBWI.

I tried regular MG books, and I prefer MG. But I'm not interested in the strict word count limitation. I'm more the I have a set epic length collection I went to do as sort of my 'life's work.' kind of person.

The modern 'fairy tale' collection.

Yea I'll 'keep' twitter, but decided social media just isn't for me.:/ (Interviews are OK.)
#9 - November 29, 2015, 12:29 AM
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 11:35 PM by SarahW »

Members: