SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

A Local Magazine Wants to $10 dollars for my Coloring Page.

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
:pickme

Hi a local magazine wants to use one of my coloring pages for a their next issue. They want to pay just $10. I sell them for $8 -12 at craft shows. So would it make a difference. I'd like to ask for at least $35-$40. What's a good price for a coloring page, that will be published.

Thanks ahead of time.

Jenny
#1 - November 30, 2015, 11:50 AM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
What is their circulation? How long between issues? Do they carry other coloring pages? What rights are they asking for?
#2 - December 01, 2015, 04:52 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks for replying Wendy.I'm not sure of the circulation. They are new, and have only released 3 issues in the bay area, ca. They release them seasonally. I would still hold all rights, and they said there is a requested re-publication time limit.
#3 - December 01, 2015, 09:49 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Thank You Wendy for the great insight. My apologies for not coming back sooner. I forgot that I wrote this. Anyhow I asked them the questions you mentioned, and the circulation was pretty large. Then since they couldn't go higher in the price. So they really wanted to use the coloring page, and offered me one of their $89 advertising space in the magazine, plus the 10 dollars. So I created an Ad for my Art business. It was a barter. I had bartered before for my first art studio. I was one of the first people there when it opened, and the owner was having a hard time marketing and getting the word our. So I offered to do it, in exchange for 6 monts free rent. I did, and got tons of new renters for them, so they not only gave me the 6 months, they also gave an extra 2 months. It was awesome. P.S. I did put together a contract so that barter agreement was in writing.
#4 - February 08, 2016, 07:55 AM

Members: