SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Bibliographies

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region caribbeannorth
I'll be submitting some articles soon and would appreciate your opinion on what style you use in your bibliographies. Is it APA, MLA, Chicago or another? Do children's writer use one style more frequently to submit to magazines or publishers? I use MLA or Chicago, mainly. Any insight into this matter is much appreciated. https://www.scbwi.org/boards/Smileys/default/soccer.gif
#1 - December 02, 2015, 01:31 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
I always use MLA, but then again, I'm working on my MFA, and that's what they want. I would certainly say not to use APA. As far as I know, that's really only used for psych papers. In the end, I don't think it matters that much one way or the other, so use the one you're most comfortable with.
#2 - December 02, 2015, 02:18 PM
Laurie Wallmark
lauriewallmark.com
Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code (Sterling 2017)
Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machine
(Creston 2015)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
The publishing house I've worked with uses Chicago, so I use that.  When you use BibMe you can input the info and click which style you want to use (which I love).  I think so long as you choose a style and use it consistently in the article it probably doesn't matter which you use.
#3 - December 02, 2015, 05:55 PM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Booth Brothers: Drama, Fame & the Death of Lincoln
Capstone: September 1, 2017

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Just be consistent, as Rebecca says, with whatever style you use. I use both Chicago and MLA.
Vijaya
#4 - December 02, 2015, 06:00 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thank you, Laurie, Rebecca and Vijaya. Laurie, weren't you at PiBoIdMo? I recognize your book. I would love to write one. There's so many interesting people from Puerto Rico. I have a few in mind.  I've written some articles about famous leaders for a cultural magazine. I have some research done already. Can you suggest a book on the topic or a website?  Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge. https://www.scbwi.org/boards/Smileys/default/yippee.gif
#5 - December 03, 2015, 08:49 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
That's a great idea, and it's fun to research and write biographies. My best suggestion is to read a bunch of recent ones. The reason for recent is that the "rules" for biographies have changed. It used to be you could have your characters speak, even if you didn't know the person actually said those words. No more. Nowadays, there's much more emphasis on historical accuracy. Good luck.
#6 - December 03, 2015, 11:45 AM
Laurie Wallmark
lauriewallmark.com
Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code (Sterling 2017)
Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machine
(Creston 2015)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Laurie, I have a non-fiction article where I present two historical figures talking. Does that apply to articles, too? Thanks for answering my questions.
#7 - December 03, 2015, 03:23 PM

Members: