SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Translation manuscript for publishers

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro

Hello!  I'm about to submit a children's book English manuscript to those who'll translate it into Spanish.  My question is:  What layout should the Spanish translation manuscript have (page breaks, etc.)?  Should it be included in the English manuscript or be a separate manuscript to submit to a publisher?
:thankyou :flowers2
#1 - December 06, 2015, 02:16 PM

Are you having the manuscript translated to submit to Spanish publishers? If so I would think to format if the same as an English manuscript but maybe someone else will know more about that than me. If you're doing it as a translation for a bilingual book I'd hold off and submit it as English only unless a publisher expressly asks for it to be translated. My publisher was the one who had my picture book translated into Spanish for the bilingual edition.
#2 - December 07, 2015, 02:58 PM
KICK! JUMP! CHOP! THE ADVENTURES OF THE NINJABREAD MAN, Sterling Publishing 2017
BEDTIME MONSTER, Raven Tree Press
SubItClub.wordpress.com

Children's Book Editor
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Do you know that North-South wants to receive both the English and Spanish together? They might be happy to get your English text, and then arrange for the translation with someone they work with regularly.
#3 - December 07, 2015, 05:44 PM
Harold Underdown

The Purple Crayon, a children's book editor's site: http://www.underdown.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/HUnderdown

If you take a look through their current catalog their books are published in English. North-South's submission guidelines say that they translate their books into German. So, I'd say to just send them an English submission. The publisher will decide if they want it translated. That being said, if you use some Mandarin words in the English version of the story then it could be useful to send a page with definitions.
#4 - December 07, 2015, 06:48 PM
KICK! JUMP! CHOP! THE ADVENTURES OF THE NINJABREAD MAN, Sterling Publishing 2017
BEDTIME MONSTER, Raven Tree Press
SubItClub.wordpress.com

Members: