SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Hopscotch, Boys' Quest, Fun for Kidz

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
I think there are some new themes listed, or maybe older themes brought back because they need non-fiction for their new magazine format. They request non-fiction only.
#1 - February 04, 2015, 06:05 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Thank you, Cindy! I recognize some of these themes from last year.  I think you're right. Fun for Kidz must have reopened some themes, needing more nonfiction. I hope they open for fiction again soon.
#2 - February 05, 2015, 08:05 AM
Anita N. Amin
RAJA’S PET CAMEL (Cardinal Rule Press, 2020); THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019) And more in 2020-2021

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Looks like the theme list was updated again. Good luck to anyone submitting!
#3 - March 11, 2015, 04:26 PM
Anita N. Amin
RAJA’S PET CAMEL (Cardinal Rule Press, 2020); THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019) And more in 2020-2021

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Updated theme lists. I didn't see any new themes, but some were removed.
#4 - May 21, 2015, 07:19 AM
Anita N. Amin

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Slightly updated theme lists. Still only looking for nonfiction. I hope they start taking fiction again soon!
#5 - July 23, 2015, 07:33 AM
Anita N. Amin

Their website says nonfiction, but does anyone know if you have to have pictures also. Can you submit text only?
#6 - September 08, 2015, 12:29 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
mbulls, I have submitted text only, and they accepted the articles on condition I was able to provide photos, which I was able to do. So if you have photos available, or know that you could get some, it wouldn't hurt to mention it in your submission. Good luck!
#7 - September 08, 2015, 12:44 PM

Are you sure that they still only want non-fiction? For HOPSCOTCH specifically, while I see that they need more non-fiction, I did not see anything that said no fiction is being accepted. (I could very well be mistaken though!)
#8 - September 08, 2015, 12:46 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
In the theme lists, it says Need Only Nonfiction Stories... To me this means no fiction. Are you seeing something different? Or maybe I've misunderstood (which would be great because they've bought some of my fiction and I really miss them!)
#9 - September 08, 2015, 02:44 PM
Anita N. Amin

Oh! You are right, there it is, plain as the nose on my face! I was clicking into the individual pages themselves and I did not see that warning. I was hoping to submit a mystery story to them; I'll have to find a different market!
#10 - September 08, 2015, 02:55 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Nuts. I keep watching for them to open back up to fiction, so I was hoping.
Good luck with your story!
#11 - September 08, 2015, 03:59 PM
Anita N. Amin

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I received a reply back from a nonfiction manuscript about penguins I submitted to Boys' Quest in July for their Birds issue.  The manuscript was returned with a note saying they enjoyed the manuscript and they were holding it to see if they could place it in the Birds issue but they couldn't fit it in. Just sharing in case anyone is thinking of subbing anything for the Birds issue. I see the Birds theme is still listed on their website so it might still be open for shorter pieces.  Good luck! 

Sue
#12 - October 12, 2015, 01:05 PM
FAIRIES, Focus Readers, North Star Editions, 2018
GET OUTSIDE IN WINTER, Focus Readers, Jan.  2019
GET OUTSIDE IN SPRING, Focus Readers, Jan.  2019

Members: