SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

World Creation & Technical Levels

Discussion started on

In my Astarling stories, I create maps and all that goes with such for the fantasy stories. It can get fairly expansive, and so, I was just wondering the ability of some younger readers to grasp a technical new fantasy world. In other words how technical should one go for let's say "MG" and then "Teen" groups vs. "YA". With "YA" and maybe "Teen" one can get very serious with world creationism however it becomes a challenge to tone down the worlds expanse and technical levels at younger levels I think.
#1 - December 24, 2015, 09:30 AM
Just Be!

Dionna

I say, don't underestimate the intelligence of your audience. Even ten-year-olds can get technical stuff faster than us older ones. Just tell your story, and if technical jargon or explanation is needed to tell it, then don't hold back.
#2 - December 24, 2015, 01:03 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Yep, that's what I say, too. Kids can sniff out "dumbing down" to an astonishing degree. They can also get quite caught up in the technical details of a fictional world. Both MG and YA readers (teen = YA) love to go into a world that feels solidly built. Just write your story and include what you need to. :)
#3 - December 24, 2015, 02:04 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I loved a book with maps when I was younger. I still do. :)
#4 - December 24, 2015, 05:00 PM
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 10:58 AM by Pons »

:like maps, too. There was one I didn't care for; too many details, all in the same-colored ink, made it hard to reference. At least for me.

Maps and other devices can add adventurous layers to the story and also help with info dumps.
#5 - December 25, 2015, 05:05 AM
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Einstein.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
 Truly excellent stories will inspire their readerships to analyze and find any flaws or inconsistencies.  I believe even Tolkien had to issue a second edition of one of the LotR books to fix a timeline flaw.
#6 - December 25, 2015, 08:41 AM
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 09:02 AM by A. S. Templeton »
—————
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
—C.S. Lewis

Member.
Poster Plus
Definitely don't tone down the technical details just for kids - like any other SF/F, you'd want to be careful not to do long info-dumps that slow down your story, but if the world building is folded into the story well, it should be no problem. I have definitely known multiple pre-teens who, for example, poured through and pretty much memorized the technical manuals for the Star Wars ships. Some people are really drawn to that kind of detail, even as kids. Just make sure your story is great first and foremost, and readers will be so into it they'll absorb the world building as they read.
#7 - December 28, 2015, 07:56 AM
BOUND BY BLOOD AND SAND | Delacorte Press, Fall 2016
www.beckyallenbooks.com | @allreb | beckytext.tumblr.com

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
If you don't know it already, you should take a look at the Monster Blood Tattoo trilogy by DM Cornish (I think they changed the series title in the US to the Foundling's Tale). It's a really elaborate fantasy world, tons of maps, tons of made up vocab. And it's MG.
#8 - December 28, 2015, 09:47 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Members: