SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

What new releases are you looking forward to in 2016?

Discussion started on

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
What book(s) can't you wait to read in 2016?

Personally, I'm looking forward to the final volume in James Treadwell's excellent Advent trilogy, Arcadia, which is crossover YA/Adult fantasy...and in the adult world, the latest Lois McMaster Bujold (Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen) and, hopefully, the follow-up to the fantastic The Rook, Stiletto, which has already been delayed three times.  :P
#1 - January 02, 2016, 04:59 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Oh gosh! SO many!!

In PBs there are so many great title’s I cannot wait to read Be A Friend, Mira Forecasts the Future, Snappsy the Alligator Did Not Ask to be in This Book, Normal Norman, There’s a Giraffe in My Soup, ALL of Stephanie Shaw’s and DianaM’s books! And of course last but certainly not least, MINE! (I'm allowed to add my own right?) RACE CAR DREAMS will release this fall, and I can’t wait for everyone to see how cute his face is!!

For MG, the top two on my list are Counting Thyme and A Rambler Steals Home. I've been looking forward to reading Rambler ever since I heard about it being sold. It sounds awesome!

In YA, FEAR the Drowning Deep by my friend Sarah Marsh. I don’t read much YA but I’ve had the pleasure of reading this one already and if you’re into fantasy, you’ll really enjoy this one.

I just know I am leaving a TON out and look forward to seeing what everyone else is looking forward to reading this year.
#2 - January 03, 2016, 12:21 AM
Vehicle Dreams Series-RPKids '16 -'18
(Fire Truck, Bulldozer, Race Car)
Rainy Day Picnic-Read Your Story '18
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale '15

Thanks, Sharon! I'm really looking forward to RACE CAR DREAMS, too!

And all of the PB titles you mentioned. Plus, I can't wait to read PUNK SKUNKS by Trisha Speed Shaskan. I'm told there's a Ramones reference.  :hairdude
#3 - January 03, 2016, 08:46 AM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

I'm looking forward to the third in THE WINNER'S CURSE trilogy, the second in THE WRATH AND THE DAWN trilogy, and the third in THE KISS OF DECEPTION trilogy. I'm also really excited about Diana's CITY SHAPES, because I think it will be perfect for Annecy this year.
#4 - January 03, 2016, 11:38 AM

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I read YA fairly exclusively, so my anticipation centers around those. Here are a couple I'm especially excited about:

MAP OF FATES, by Maggie Hall (second in series/trilogy)
PASSENGER, by Alexandra Bracken
THE GLASS SWORD, by Victoria Aveyard (second in series/trilogy)
TANGLED THOUGHTS, by Cara Bertrand (third in a trilogy)
BREAK ME LIKE A PROMISE, by Tiffany Schmidt (second in series/trilogy)
LADY RENEGADES, by Rachel Hawkins (third in series)
THE LONG GAME, by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (second in series)
LEARNING TO SWEAR IN AMERICA, by our own dews Katie Kennedy

...just to name a few. ;)
#5 - January 03, 2016, 12:30 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
I am also excited about MAP OF FATES by Maggie Hall.
BOOKED by Kwame Alexander
CICI RENO: MIDDLE SCHOOL MATCHMAKER by my friend Kristina Springer
THE GIRL IN THE TOWER by Lisa Schroeder
ROCKS FALL EVERYONE DIES by Lindsay Ribar
#6 - January 03, 2016, 12:45 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Thanks, Holly!  :flowers2

And yes, I don't usually read YA, but I'm also DYING to read LEARNING TO SWEAR IN AMERICA. For one thing, the MC is Russian (like moi). Also, the cover is awesome. And the story just sounds so good.
#7 - January 03, 2016, 01:40 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
And yes, I don't usually read YA, but I'm also DYING to read LEARNING TO SWEAR IN AMERICA. For one thing, the MC is Russian (like moi). Also, the cover is awesome. And the story just sounds so good.

And you're in the acknowledgments!  :thankyou

You guys, I'm reading some terrific (YA) ARCS. Emily Henry's THE LOVE THAT SPLIT THE WORLD will appeal to fans of BONE GAP; Melissa Gorzelanczyk's ARROWS is a nice romance with mythology, and a fast read, Kathryn Purdie's BURNING GLASS will appeal to Sarah J. Maas/THRONE OF GLASS fans. There are more that are getting raves on the Sweet Sixteen forum, but I haven't read them yet....
#8 - January 03, 2016, 02:14 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Ahh....what a great thread! I am always looking for recommendations. :)

I really need to read some Bujold; I always see her recommended. So maybe I'll pick some up this year.

I'm with Holly on THE WINNER'S KISS (and Mary Pearson's next book--I think I still need to read #2 that just came out), and Robin on PASSENGER. And Diana on LEARNING TO SWEAR IN AMERICA! Also interested in the following YA:

WORLDS OF INK AND SHADOW, Lena Coakley (Bronte siblings fantasy)
A TANGLE OF GOLD, Jaclyn Moriarty (last book in the Colors of Madeleine series, which started with A Corner of White)
THE DARK DAYS CLUB, Alison Goodman

And in this MG:

ALCATRAZ VERSUS THE DARK TALENT, by Brandon Sanderson (there was a loooooooong hiatus between book 4 and this final book in the series, and I am eager to see a certain character get out of a coma)

as well as this adult book:

THE BANDS OF MORNING, also by Brandon Sanderson (the third Wax and Wayne book).

There are others on my list, but they are already out, and I just need to get to them. (Like BONE GAP. A someday sequel to THE THINKING WOMAN'S GUIDE TO REAL MAGIC, which as far as I know doesn't even have a publication date yet. HOTEL RUBY, by Suzanne Young. THE ROSEMARY SPELL, by Virginia Zimmerman. SUMMERLOST, by Ally Condie. THE THIRD TWIN, by our own CJ Omolulu. Etc.)

Hurry up and write, though, people! This list is too short. :)
#9 - January 03, 2016, 02:22 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Rose, I've checked on the sequel to THE THINKING WOMAN'S GUIDE TO REAL MAGIC. She's finished Book 2 and is in the throes of revisions. Sigh.

And yes, try some Bujold--I love her Vorkosigan cycle, of which the new release is a part. Very character-driven science fiction, and her character Cordelia is a strong, smart, and kick-ass without being a hard-ass, which is refreshing. No Smurfette Syndrome, either--there are many equally strong yet sympathetic female characters in the series.
#10 - January 03, 2016, 03:18 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Gosh, lots of great books to look forward to! A good year of reading ahead!

Excited for so many books by Blueboarders too! Combines the anticipation of good reading with the joy of friends' success and the brag-worthy moment when I can say "I know that writer!"
#11 - January 03, 2016, 03:24 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
And yes, try some Bujold--I love her Vorkosigan cycle

I just discovered the Vorkosigans this fall -- reading my way through Miles's stories. Guess I ought to try the parents' also--Cordelia's his mom, right?
#12 - January 03, 2016, 04:04 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I can hardly wait to read LEARNING TO SWEAR IN AMERICA.
#13 - January 03, 2016, 04:08 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Thank you, Sharon Chriscoe, for the shout out for my books --- at least two will be coming out in 2016. Board book BY THE LIGHT OF THE MOON in February and picture book SCHNITZEL: A CAUTIONARY TALE FOR LAZY LOUTS next fall.

Right now I am counting the hours until the release of Lois Sepahban's MG novel PAPER WISHES.  This is a gorgeously written book told from the perspective of a twelve-year-old Japanese American girl in a WW II internment camp.  This carefully layered story is not just about the historical significance of the time, but also of the voicelessness of children undergoing trauma. 
#14 - January 03, 2016, 04:30 PM
Legend of The Beaver's Tail '15
Schnitzel: A Cautionary Tale for Lazy Louts,  '16
Moo La La! Cow Goes Shopping, '17
Piece by Piece, '17

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Oooh, so much good stuff you all are putting on my radar. But the book I'm most excited about right now is Katie's Learning to Swear in America!!! July feels an awfully long time away. But, my TBR pile is huge already and I know the time is going to go swiftly.

Vijaya
#15 - January 03, 2016, 04:45 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Anne, yes, Cordelia is Miles's mother--and wonderful Go back and try SHARDS OF HONOR and BARRAYAR--thought the quality of writing is uneven as they were written several years apart, they're still wonderful.
#16 - January 03, 2016, 04:54 PM
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
I should have added my list is in addition to BBer titles! Of course!
#17 - January 03, 2016, 05:49 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Thanks, Holly!  :flowers2

Oh! YES! Katie's releases this year too!! YAY! I just added it to my list. Can't wait to read it!!
#18 - January 03, 2016, 08:12 PM

Marissa, I can't wait for Stiletto!!!!

If anyone is into Sherlock Holmes I'll recommend A STUDY IN CHARLOTTE, coming in March. LOCK & MORI was also good and has a sequel coming out which I've got my eye on.
#19 - January 03, 2016, 10:14 PM
The Echo Room (Tor Teen, 2018)
Where Futures End (Penguin, 2016)
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

Mike Jung

Whizbee's WHERE FUTURES END drops in February and is outstanding, Blueboarders. Highly recommended. I'm also looking forward to new books from C.G. Watson (ASCENDING THE BONEYARD), e.e. Charlton-Trujillo (WHEN WE WAS FIERCE), Corinne Duyvis (ON THE EDGE OF GONE), Francisco X. Stork (THE MEMORY OF LIGHT), and Olugbemisola Rhuday-Perkovich and Audrey Vernick (TWO NAOMIS).
#20 - January 04, 2016, 08:56 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Sharon, here's me readingreadingreading and then RAMBLER! Thank you! What a sweet thing. (The only thing is that I'm now Feb 2017, so you'll have to wait just a few more months!)

TWO NAOMIS, Mike, yes yes. I can't wait for that.

I'm looking forward to Peter Brown's MG debut, and PAX, and RAYMIE NIGHTINGALE.

The MG debuts I've read have been exceptional, so definitely keep an eye out for them, all of them!
#21 - January 04, 2016, 08:23 PM
A RAMBLER STEALS HOME, HMH 2016
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR A TREEHOUSE; THIS IS NOT A VALENTINE, Chronicle 2017
designofthepicturebook.com
@carterhiggins

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Sharon, here's me readingreadingreading and then RAMBLER! Thank you! What a sweet thing. (The only thing is that I'm now Feb 2017, so you'll have to wait just a few more months!)

NO! They just can't do that. They can't. That's a lot of extra months.  :cry2 I remember seeing Rambler in PW and saying OH!! I cannot wait to read this book!! And now I have to wait longer. :sigh
#22 - January 04, 2016, 08:31 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
NO! They just can't do that. They can't. That's a lot of extra months.  :cry2 I remember seeing Rambler in PW and saying OH!! I cannot wait to read this book!! And now I have to wait longer. :sigh

Me too, Schriscoe. But Ramblers take their time--that's kind of the point of rambling.  :grin3
#23 - January 05, 2016, 08:20 AM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
 :flowers2 for you both.

:grouphug2
#24 - January 05, 2016, 08:22 AM
A RAMBLER STEALS HOME, HMH 2016
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR A TREEHOUSE; THIS IS NOT A VALENTINE, Chronicle 2017
designofthepicturebook.com
@carterhiggins

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I can't wait to read Whizbee's WHERE FUTURES END, Mike Jung's UNIDENTIFIED SUBURBAN OBJECT, and Tara Dairman's final book in her Gladys Gatsby series STARS SO SWEET. I loved BLACKBIRD FLY by Erin Entrada Kelly and her second book is coming out soon, THE LAND OF FORGOTTEN GIRLS. And I love, love, loved GROUNDED by Megan Morrison and I believe the sequel comes out in 2016. Oh, and this maybe doesn't count because I read it in draft form, but I also can't wait for LIKE MAGIC by Elaine Vickers. The earlier versions were SO good, and I can't wait to read the final version in all its bookish goodness.
#25 - January 05, 2016, 10:36 AM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

Oh, and for MG, I'm really excited for PILFER ACADEMY by Lauren Magaziner. I read her first book (THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN WITCHES) and then passed it on to my 10-yr-old daughter. And she absolutely loved it! She's hard to find books for, so I was excited.
#26 - January 05, 2016, 12:13 PM

And you're in the acknowledgments!  :thankyou

One of my proudest achievements!
#27 - January 05, 2016, 12:14 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Bookmarking for all the great recs. Also so excited to see a lot of BB books here!!  :stars3
#28 - January 05, 2016, 12:20 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Gladys Gatsby is wonderful. I need to read Book 2 before I can move onto Book 3 this year, but I'm really looking forward to them both.
#29 - January 05, 2016, 02:02 PM
The Echo Room (Tor Teen, 2018)
Where Futures End (Penguin, 2016)
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
In PBs I'm looking forward to NORMAL NORMAN,A HOP IS UP, and A FRIEND FOR MOLE.
#30 - February 27, 2016, 08:52 PM

Members: