SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Highlights acceptance to publication time

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
How long does High Five typically take to publish a story after acceptance? Under the response times section, there were a couple of posts showing about a year wait, but this was a few years ago. High Five recently accepted one of my stories, and I'm wondering how long of a wait I should expect before publication.
#1 - February 29, 2016, 08:13 PM
Anita N. Amin
RAJA’S PET CAMEL (Cardinal Rule Press, 2020); THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019) And more in 2020-2021

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Hi Starfish,

Congrats on the sale to HL!  :goldstar As far as how long, there probably is no definite answer. I have sold six pieces to HL (4 to High Five and 2 to Hello). So far, I have seen two in print (1 High Five and 1 Hello) and not received any word as to when the others will be in publication.

From what I understand, they acquire pieces well in advance and publish them when the piece fits their need. I did however get an email in advance of when my work would be in print. As well as a sneak peek of the artwork.

Wish I could be of more help and give you a more definite answer but I'm afraid there may not be one. BUT again!! Congrats on breaking into this awesome magazine!  :stars3
#2 - February 29, 2016, 08:25 PM
Vehicle Dreams Series-RPKids '16 -'18
(Fire Truck, Bulldozer, Race Car)
Rainy Day Picnic-Read Your Story '18
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale '15

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
 :congratulations Starfish! I'm waiting along with you!  My HL pieces were accepted in August for Hello and High Five.  Hope the wait isn't too long!   

Sue
#3 - March 01, 2016, 03:56 AM
FAIRIES, Focus Readers, North Star Editions, 2018
GET OUTSIDE IN WINTER, Focus Readers, Jan.  2019
GET OUTSIDE IN SPRING, Focus Readers, Jan.  2019

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Congratulations on the acceptance.  Highlights High Five is great to work with.  They are also S-L-O-W, so S-L-O-W, to publish.  I've sold them about 10 pieces.  Most are still unpublished and some have been waiting about ten years.  When they do decide to schedule it you'll get an email around 9 months prior to the time they plan to use it with the scheduled pub date and a proof to examine. 
#4 - March 01, 2016, 07:04 AM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Women's Rights Movement: Then and Now
Capstone: January, 2018

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I'm still waiting too, Starfish ... hang in there and write more good stuff! And Congratulations!!!
Vijaya
#5 - March 01, 2016, 10:40 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
What Sharon said. It can definitely be nerve-wracking, especially if it's your first sale, which is what happened to me with Highlights. I think it was about a year before it came out. It'll happen eventually, though. Congrats.
#6 - March 01, 2016, 05:27 PM
Laurie Wallmark
lauriewallmark.com
Hedy Lamarr's Double Life
Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code
Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machin

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
A friend of mine sold a piece to HL about 3 years ago. She got paid, but it has not yet gone into print.
#7 - March 01, 2016, 06:49 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
YAY! Starfish I'm so happy for you! But ugh, now this wait!
#8 - March 01, 2016, 07:17 PM
The End of Something Wonderful (Sterling 2019)
Hello, Star (Little Brown 2021)
The League of Picky Eaters (Clarion 2021)
@grubreport

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Thank you all! And congratulations Laurie, Vijaya, Rebecca, Sue and Sharon!

I didn't realize High Five's turnaround time to publication could be as long as Highlights'. Glad I asked or I would've wondered what happened to my story. I guess I assumed H5 didn't have as great a backlog of accepted stories since they were established later. Have they already been in print for 10 years? I thought it was just a few years.

My Highlights story took about 2 years to publication. I saw an interview somewhere a few years ago that they were trying to reduce the turnaround time to 2 years. But 10 years - wow, Rebecca! You get the prize for patience!

Hope we all see our stories in print soon!
#9 - March 02, 2016, 07:12 AM
Anita N. Amin
RAJA’S PET CAMEL (Cardinal Rule Press, 2020); THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019) And more in 2020-2021

I've sold High Five about a dozen poems and they typically publish them within 1-2 years on average.

I've had some poems at Highlights for many years, however. But then they've published other things quickly. Once, a poem got published in under a year. But in that case, it was something they were specifically looking for.

It kind of depends. Expect it to take a long time and you can be pleasantly surprised.

I heard one horror story where something was published at Highlights after 20 years! Gah!
#10 - March 02, 2016, 10:29 AM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Congratulations, btw!!
#11 - March 02, 2016, 10:30 AM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Thanks, Diana!
#12 - March 05, 2016, 04:50 AM
Anita N. Amin

Members: