SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Wrapping Up a Series

Discussion started on

I'm finally wrapping up my first series and all I can think is, "Why did I write so many characters and subplots?!?" Any advice about how to end a series in a satisfying way that doesn't result in 500,000 words?

*Whew!*

:bewildered
#1 - January 22, 2016, 08:33 AM

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I have no advice, but I'm so impressed that you've done this...what a journey (and what talent)! :kiss
#2 - January 22, 2016, 09:37 AM
Robin
Teen Books A Guide for Families (Vol. 1&2): https://www.amazon.com/s?field-keywords=robin+prehn
My Blog: http://robinellen.livejournal.com

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region brazosvalley
I don't have great advice, either. Great job seeing it through!  I think one thing that might help (and now I'm brainstorming my own project and new ways it could wrap up) would be to have many characters/storylines wrapped up by the same event. You'd have to be careful with that, because it could come off as far too coincidental or as too deus ex machina, but it might be something to ponder. Hope the end writing goes well!
#3 - February 23, 2016, 03:18 PM
Vanessa Everett Howard
vanessaehoward.com
"Children are not a distraction from more imporant work. They are the most important work." -C.S. Lewis

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
I wrote the first draft of book #3 in my series...and it needs to be completely rewritten, lol! I tried to tie in events from books #1 and #2, but it got unwieldy, unfocused, and out of my control!

I realized that some of the events in the first two books are just going to have to stand as they are, and what I will focus on developing in #3 is:

1) the new plot as contained in book #3 alone just with references to #1 and #2 plots, and
2) the RELATIONSHIPS between the characters from books #1 and #2 and how they come full circle in #3

I know that won't work for others' series that have cliffhanger endings at the end of books #1, #2, etc., but for me this is the way I'm going to have to go...we'll see how it works in the revision when I get to it this summer...

Good luck and keep us posted!
#4 - February 23, 2016, 06:55 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Members: