SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Another Postcard Question

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I enthusiastically ordered 50 promo postcards (which doesn't sound like a lot to me.) But now I'm getting incredibly frustrated with getting them addressed. Any tips for making sending out postcards less painful?

I started with the list here: http://lovelovemyjob.com/2015/04/08/my-list-of-125-childrens-book-publishers-how-to-use-it/ & placed the ones appropriate to my style on my own list (which is a MS word table - not ideal, but what I started out with). I've gone through "the Book" and a list of Canadian publishers (I'm in Canada).

I've indicated who prefers postcard & who accepts email. But have not yet gotten around to sending out a digital version.

#1 - February 04, 2016, 07:53 AM
https://marlalesage.com/
PIRATE YEAR ROUND (Acorn Press, 2019)

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
Been doing this for a decade now. It has never become less painful. I have a list of close to 400 names.
#2 - February 04, 2016, 07:34 PM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Illustrator / Artist
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I think the key is starting with a good database program. Don't try to skimp on this aspect of your business. A good program will make your life much easier when it comes to any promotion you do. Personally I use Filemaker Pro which is great for storing every bit of information including when and what type of promo has been sent to each contact as well as the ability to create scripts and buttons to facilitate tasks such as sending emails or addressing postcards (my previous post notwithstanding). The programs capabilities and possibilities go way beyond that.

I'm sure there are other programs that can work well for the task, Filemaker Pro is the only one I am familiar with.
#3 - February 07, 2016, 07:39 AM

Members: