SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Pronunciations

Discussion started on

I am writing a nonfiction nature field guide manuscript aimed at grades 3-5.  One of my readers suggested that I include pronunciations when I introduce a new organism.  I think it is a great suggestion, but I am uncertain how to best write pronunciations.  Could anyone recommend a website or book that might help?  As I search the internet all of the "how to write pronunciations" include symbols that young children will be unfamiliar with.  Thanks!
#1 - February 13, 2016, 07:27 PM

Will this help?

(Deleted link...not as helpful as I thought.)

There's scores of teachers on the BBs who can offer direction to resources.

(Kids learn how to break down words, sound them out---aren't they also taught how to "read" pronunciations? Everything's done so differently these days, maybe they don't.)

#2 - February 13, 2016, 08:55 PM
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 09:03 PM by Arona »
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Einstein.

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
rad34, instead of using all the symbols, and putting in the schwa (sp?) and all that, could you turn the syllables into other words that the kids (or their teachers) could pronounce?

So "microphone" becomes mike + row + fone. Probably not the best example, but maybe it gets the idea across?

Good luck with this! Sounds like an interesting project. :goodluck
#3 - February 13, 2016, 09:32 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I'd actually let the publisher decide what needs to be pronounced within the text. But I think a glossary at the end with definitions and pronunciations for key words would be great (that's what my NF publishers do). Some of them use http://www.merriam-webster.com/ for definitions and pronunciations.
#4 - February 14, 2016, 05:29 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

My experience in school has been that kids are not taught pronunciation symbols, so that will just be glossed over or add to confusion. If it's possible to say something like, "Rhymes with x," I think that's fun so kids can feel in the know.
#5 - February 14, 2016, 07:30 AM
critically-yours.blogspot.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I've never used pronunciation guides, but in some manuscripts, my editor has put them in.
Vijaya
#6 - February 14, 2016, 07:35 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Thank you for all the feedback.  After looking through some examples I feel morconfortable writing my own. If it ever gets to an editor, maybe they'll remove them, but I think they will be a nice addition.
#7 - February 14, 2016, 06:23 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Besides glossaries, who decides if an index is needed?
#8 - February 15, 2016, 07:15 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
In my experience, the publisher decides.
#9 - February 15, 2016, 07:58 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
In a MG novel of mine, the editor asked me to add a pronunciation guide for the names. I wrote them out sort of the way Dewsanddamps suggested, putting the stressed syllable in all caps: BAY-oh-wolf. And like Annemleone mentioned, I also used "rhymes with X" when it was helpful.
#10 - February 16, 2016, 05:13 PM

Members: