SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Boys' Quest February 2016 issue?

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Does anyone have a copy of the February 2016 issue of Boys' Quest? I was told that my NF article about the Indianapolis 500 was moved from the October 2016 issue, which is no longer being published as it will only be Fun For Kidz by then, was moved to February 2016. They did note that I should be getting my contributor copy soon, but I have not yet.

If anyone has it, my article is "A Tale of Two Races." I'd love to know for sure that it made it in!  ::-)

Thanks!
#1 - February 16, 2016, 11:14 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
My article was also moved from October's to February's. I haven't received my contributor copy yet either, so maybe they haven't mailed them out yet.
#2 - February 18, 2016, 02:28 PM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I also haven't received the February issue.
#3 - February 18, 2016, 07:10 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks for letting me know. I guess it's just a waiting game. :-)
#4 - February 18, 2016, 07:56 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Hi Debbie!
My copy of Boys' Quest (and also Fun for Kidz and Hopscotch) arrived today. Great news! Your article is not only in the February issue, it's the very first one! Congratulations to you!!

And Sara, yours is right after Debbie's article. Congratulations to you as well! (BTW, my daughter learned to unicycle in college. I've always thought that was a neat accomplishment.) (Another btw-- I created the puzzle I have in that issue to go with your article. :yup )

Looks like the Blueboard is well represented in this last issue of Boys' Quest.

#5 - February 19, 2016, 04:43 PM
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 04:47 PM by Ev »

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Oh yay Ev!!!! Thanks so much for letting me know.  :running :running :running

Now I can't wait to check my mailbox tomorrow! (Or Monday, or Tuesday, or. . . .) The funny thing is I'm supposed to have a NF article in the March Spider magazine, so I've been stalking my mailbox for days now. So when I heard that Boys' Quest moved my article up, I couldn't believe my luck in having two articles come out so close together! It makes me feel like a "real writer." ;D

And yay for Sara and yay for your puzzle, Ev! A special Blue Boarder issue indeed!
#6 - February 19, 2016, 04:50 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Congratulations Debbie, Sara and Ev on your publications in BQ's last issue (and also on your publication in Hopscotch's last issue, Ev)! I'm another Blue Boarder in these last issues with Silly Wheel Riddles on page 30 of BQ and A-Maze-ing Babies in the puzzle section of Hopscotch. I didn't even know either were being published in these issues until I received my samples yesterday.

Which makes me wonder: I had other items (puzzles, poems, a short story) scheduled in future 2016 issues of both magazines, and now have no idea if or when any will be published in the future in Fun For Kidz. Are any of you, or anyone else, also in this predicament?
#7 - February 21, 2016, 08:46 AM
http://www.guybelleranti.com/
Cow's Bad Dream & Muddy Pig, Clean Pig (the 4th & 5th books in my Farm Friends series ) August 2017, RR Books

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
AZ Guy, I was in the same predicament - my article was actually scheduled for the October 2016 issue. When I heard that they were all folding into Fun For Kidz, I used the email address that I had from conversations with them giving them my photos and asked what the status of my article was. So I would recommend trying that.

Congrats on your publications!

Still waiting for my contributor's copy. . .  :whistle
#8 - February 21, 2016, 09:02 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Thanks for the reply, Debbie. Yes, I suppose I'll have to do that. I have 11 items I'll have to inquire about. Guess I'll put it all in one email listing each piece and the issue each was originally scheduled for. I would assume a lot of them will cancelled, with maybe a few being held for future similar themed issues of FFK.

#9 - February 21, 2016, 09:41 AM
Cow's Bad Dream & Muddy Pig, Clean Pig (the 4th & 5th books in my Farm Friends series ) August 2017, RR Books

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Just got my copy yesterday. Congratulations, Debra. Great article! You, too, Ev. How fun that your puzzle goes with my article.

And Guy, wow! 11 puzzles, plus the ones in this issue. You are so prolific.
#10 - February 21, 2016, 01:01 PM
--Sydney Smith

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Congratulations, Guy!  :hurrah

And yep, I'm in the same boat. I have a bunch of puzzles accepted for future (now non-existent) Hopscotch and Boys' Quest issues. I'm guessing they'll want to hold them and work them into future issues of Fun for Kidz.

As for others' accepted pieces, it would be a lot easier for the editors to use already accepted articles, stories, poems, and puzzles and just rework the themes to meet their needs for FFK, than for them to have to put out new calls for themes. But I'm just guessing that's what they'll do; I haven't asked them.
#11 - February 21, 2016, 07:53 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
 I finally got my copy today! Sara, loved your article about unicycles! Who knew!!!! And Ev, I saw your puzzle and Guy, I liked your riddles. What a fun issue!
#12 - February 22, 2016, 04:19 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Thanks, dkshumaker! I agree, a fun issue.
#13 - February 23, 2016, 02:33 PM
--Sydney Smith

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Sara, I enjoyed your unicycle piece. A middle school student at the school where I work sometimes rides a unicycle to school (accompanied by her dad on a second unicycle)!

Debbie, I liked your article, as well. 70 - 75 miles per hour in 1911 (when the average speed limit in most towns was 8 to 10 mph)! Whew!

Ev, great puzzle as always.

By the way, Julie at Fun For Kidz responded to my BQ/HS accepted manuscripts question. Yes, they will hold items already accepted and, if possible, try to use them in future issues of FFK. She did say that fiction written for BQ or HS is much less likely to be used because it has to fit for both boys and girls. 

#14 - February 26, 2016, 04:08 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region southern-breeze
Your article did make it - congratulations. This is the bibliographic record from Middle Search Plus Ebscohost. You can get to the online version via your local public library. With a vaild library card you can access the title remotely. Most public library systems have a subscription to this online resource.

Here is the bib:
A Tale of Two Races.
Full Text Available
Periodical
By: Shumaker, Debra. Boys' Quest. Feb/Mar2016, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p4-5. 2p. Reading Level (Lexile): 700.
Subjects: AUTOMOBILE racing; INDIANAPOLIS Motor Speedway (Speedway, Ind.); AUTOMOBILE racing fans

Let me know if you have additional questions.
#15 - May 04, 2016, 07:31 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks so much, Sala. I do love finding my name in library database searches. :-) And I did get my copy of the magazine in February. In fact, I just received the additional copies I ordered, I've decided to send one as a Thank You to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum for the use of their photos. :-)
#16 - May 04, 2016, 12:02 PM

Members: