SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Formatting of end notes for narrative NF submission

Discussion started on

Hello everyone! When submitting narrative nonfiction manuscripts, do agents and editors expect writers to include end notes and works cited as part of an initial submission? I'm not planning on using MLA style parenthetical citations within the text or academic style footnotes, but instead I'm planning on using a citation format similar to the ones used by such narrative NF writers as Candace Fleming, Elizabeth Partridge, Steve Sheinkin, and Karen Blumenthal. That is, in the back matter, for each chapter, I list the page number on which a sentence or quote appears, a few words of the relevant sentence or quotation, then tell the source of the material. For example, an end note might look something like this:

57  "It makes me so self-conscious, being taken care of that way": Condon, Mabel. "In Chaplin's House of Glass." Picture-Play Magazine, December 1916, pages 181-186

Does anyone have any pointers or tricks on how to format these sorts of less academic-style end notes to make them easier for agents and editors to navigate? Since I'm not using footnotes, I can't use Word to make hyperlinked notes. But if anyone has any tricks or suggestions on how they handled these issues, I'd welcome them!

Thank you so much!
Carrie
#1 - February 16, 2016, 04:12 PM
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:15 PM by carrie-pomeroy »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Hi, Carrie,

I don't have experience subbing trade, nonfiction other than PBs (so this comment might be useless), but my practice with PBs of this kind is to use an Author's Note or an alphabetical glossary of important terms (defined) on a separate page at the end of the manuscript. Perhaps your project requires more detail than what I've submitted. I've also not submitted a bibliography with my trade projects, though I always have one available, if they ask. So far, they haven't. Now my educational books are a whole different beast!

Good luck!

Jody
#2 - February 16, 2016, 04:34 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Carrie, some editors like Carolyn Yoder want everything. When I was at one of her sessions, she said she often looks at the bibliography first to see what the sources were before she even dives into the manuscript.

Like Jody, most of my books are for work-for-hire and fairly short so I submit the bib at the end. But for the longer books and articles, I annotate everything so that it's easier for the fact-checkers and for me when I'm revising. If your book is long, it's a good idea to have notes for each chapter. And a hyperlink is such a great tool for this kind of stuff.

Good luck, Vijaya

ETA: you're the Charlie Chaplin lady, right? I remember reading your query. It was stellar.
#3 - February 16, 2016, 05:42 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
in my experience, yes, editors and agents want the bibliography and foot or end notes in the initial submission.  It's the credibility factor in non-fiction that shows you're a professional who did her homework.  Are you asking how you format these on word?  If so, I believe you click references, then insert end note.  I've always done footnotes, personally.  As Vijaya said, I've also heard Carolyn Yoder say she sometimes looks at the sources first.
#4 - February 16, 2016, 06:22 PM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Booth Brothers: Drama, Fame & the Death of Lincoln
Capstone: September 1, 2017

Thank you for the information, everyone. This is very helpful. And yes, Vijaya, I'm the Chaplin geek! Thanks for your kind words on my query.

#5 - February 17, 2016, 04:41 AM

Oh, I have one other question. Vijaya, you mentioned hyperlinking source notes to the main text. I don't currently have software that would allow me to do that, as far as I can tell. It appears to me that EndNote is a good option for software that would give me those capabilities, but it's a bit expensive. Can anyone recommend any software they've used to format notes with hyperlinks between the text and the end notes, or let me know if you've liked working with EndNote? Thanks for any suggestions!
#6 - February 17, 2016, 09:51 AM

Dionna

You should be able to do it with Word. I was able to in the past.  I think the tab is under references, insert endnote. Not sure with the new version of Word, though.

I subbed a project some years ago to Carolyn Yoder and to Louise May with endnotes and the complete biblio. Neither bought that project, but they both said it was well-written and well-researched. That made my year!

I'm working on a new project with both of them in mind, so, I hope my research this time will pay off in a sell!!!
#7 - February 17, 2016, 02:17 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I'm so glad Dionna answered it because I've only used footnotes but not endnotes. And Dionna, how wonderful to get such high praise -- lots of great mss don't get accepted for a whole host of reasons, so don't give up sending it out.

Vijaya
#8 - February 17, 2016, 06:37 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
 :yeah Dionna, I love the praise you received from the agents. Keep the manuscript. Someday you should be able to sell it  :hi5
#9 - February 17, 2016, 07:16 PM

Dionna, that is marvelous praise! Good luck with your current project!
#10 - February 17, 2016, 07:41 PM

Dionna

Thanks, Vijaya, Carrie & Iyerani. Carolyn and Louise are like  :superwoman editors at amazing publishing houses. And they really value mss that are well-documented. Maybe this new one will be THE ONE. (My bibliography is BEAUTIFUL and I'm not even finished with my research yet.)
#11 - February 17, 2016, 07:42 PM

A beautiful bibliography is a thing of joy! I think only nonfiction geeks like us can truly appreciate the beauty of a bibliography. :hi5
#12 - March 03, 2016, 07:24 AM

Dionna

A beautiful bibliography is a thing of joy! I think only nonfiction geeks like us can truly appreciate the beauty of a bibliography. :hi5
:exactly I agree! Isn't it especially thrilling to add personal interviews, emails from pros, tours of cool places, letters dated 200 years ago!!??!! 
#13 - March 03, 2016, 09:34 AM

Oh, yes indeed! My current topic only covers a period from 1890-1920, so I can't boast of 200-year-old letters, though. Sweet!
#14 - March 05, 2016, 08:50 AM

Members: