SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Looking for some great vocabulary words

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region brazosvalley
I am working on a series of educational picture/chapter books. The books introduce readers to new and interesting vocabulary words. One of my primary goals with this is to use words that not only grow a kid's vocabulary, but also his character. So far, my list includes words such as perseverance, gumption, integrity, solicitous, charitable.

Any suggestions on great spirit-building words kids should learn?
#1 - February 24, 2016, 03:11 PM
Vanessa Everett Howard
vanessaehoward.com
"Children are not a distraction from more imporant work. They are the most important work." -C.S. Lewis

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
All the virtues! Patience, fortitude, humility, kindness ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_virtues

By the way, I love your Lewis quote!
Vijaya
#2 - February 24, 2016, 03:18 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
confidence, esteem (for self and others), admirable (in a few forms), awe(some) - wouldn't it be great if kids really understood what the awe part meant, sincerity, punctuality, gratitude. That's it for my brainstorming at the moment. I hope they help.

-Debbie
#3 - February 29, 2016, 05:57 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Vijaya mentioned the virtues. I recall back in the 70's or 80's or so there was an whole series of children's picture books -each writing on one virtue. They related the virtue to a famous person in history. I'm sorry but I can't recall the series at the moment. One could always read William Bennett's Children's Book of Virtues.

#4 - February 29, 2016, 06:43 PM

I remember those books of virtue. I have no memory, though, of each virtue being assigned to an individual. Great concept...as is the OPs.

Has integrity been mentioned?

Character (as in one's personal character, building character).

Decorum.

Equanimity. (Eh...to advanced a word.)

Grace, as in having grace.

Gracious.
#5 - March 01, 2016, 03:34 AM
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Einstein.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I remember those books of virtue. I have no memory, though, of each virtue being assigned to an individual. Great concept...as is the OPs.

Has integrity been mentioned?

Character (as in one's personal character, building character).

Decorum.

Equanimity. (Eh...to advanced a word.)

Grace, as in having grace.

Gracious.

Now I remember...They were Value stories. Here is a link to Marie Curie's Value of Learning. there are others listed below including determination, responsibility, patience, respect, love, caring, understanding, etc.....

http://smile.amazon.com/Value-Learning-Story-Marie-Curie/dp/091639218X/ref=sr_1_28?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1456835958&sr=1-28&keywords=marie+curie

There were at least 30 books if I recall in the full series. They often circulate among homeschool families to this day. More wordy than today's tastes, but the topics are classic.
#6 - March 01, 2016, 04:47 AM
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 04:49 AM by koozoo »

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region brazosvalley
Thanks for all the tips! Those are great words and resources. (And I'm encouraged by the fact that even these similar titles are nothing like my series. )
#7 - March 01, 2016, 04:51 AM
Vanessa Everett Howard
vanessaehoward.com
"Children are not a distraction from more imporant work. They are the most important work." -C.S. Lewis

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Best of luck to you Vanessa!  :goodluck

Look forward to seeing your books published!
#8 - March 01, 2016, 07:37 AM

Tolerance!
#9 - March 01, 2016, 11:52 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Diverse, different, special - I think they all figure prominently while growing up!
#10 - March 01, 2016, 12:54 PM
It's my iPad making the spelling mistakes, not I!

Integrity, tenacious, communicative, auspicious, magnitude, intent, platitude, solace, elated
#11 - March 06, 2016, 06:15 PM

Members: