SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Answered Prayers/Wishes Coming True

Discussion started on

I'm looking for some research/brainstorming help in the form of your own experiences. When is a time that you've had a prayer answered or a wish come true, but the real help/miracle/lasting change was something else having to do with the person who made it possible?

For example, you really needed help paying for groceries one week, and your food bank helped, but the more meaningful part of the interaction is that you began volunteering at the food bank, got a job there, and it changed your life. Or, say a neighbor watches your kids on the fly one day when you have an emergency but the best part of that interaction is that your family became life long friends and your kids got married. Do you see what I'm getting at? I would love all your stories like that!

Thanks!
#1 - February 27, 2016, 07:14 PM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Sorry, I can't help with providing you with a specific example, but what you're seeking are examples of serendipity...correct?
#2 - February 27, 2016, 07:22 PM

It's kind of serendipity, yes. I'm looking for stories where if what you wanted was just "poofed" into existence, without the help of another human being, your life would have been different, smaller, changed in a negative way over the long run. I know this is really specific. I just have the wispiest tendrils of a story idea, and I had the vaguest thought about taking it in this sort of direction and so I'm trying to gather inspiration.
#3 - February 27, 2016, 09:49 PM

What age range would you be gearing your story toward? (Wouldn't that make a difference?)
#4 - February 28, 2016, 05:30 AM
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Einstein.

It will be MG. But it's going to be about a neighborhood, so I'll take any story right now. I'm not looking to use them out right, just want some to get my brain cooking and excited.
#5 - February 28, 2016, 07:09 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Amanda Sue, I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I have a story for you...

So, my hubby and I tried to have a baby for fourteen years. We went to fancy doctors who had fancy offices with views of the sea. We poured money and time and hope into trying to have a baby. But alas, I was infertile. After we made the decision to adopt and did our homestudy with an adoption agency, we were chosen by several birth mothers. As the months passed, every one of them changed their minds, and although we were heartbroken, we couldn't blame them. We looked into international adoption and foster parenting, and it seemed like everything we tried to do to have a baby hit a brick wall. Nothing was working.

At the same time, we felt like our lives were in flux. My hubby was practicing law on his own from a little office downtown, and because he's not good at taking other people's money, he did a lot of work for free. We did okay. But it was a struggle.

One day, I cried my heart out and prayed that I could find happiness in my current circumstances, that I could find joy, even without a baby or knowing what was going to happen. That I could find peace. And one month later, we were living in a different state with a brand new law job (didn't have to take other people's money, but actually got paid), a brand new house, and best of all ... a baby boy, a son.

I told our birthmother that she gave me the best gift anyone could ever give ... the gift of becoming a mother. But she said that we saved her. Maybe we saved each other. All I know is that by letting go and by not trying to do things on our own, we were blessed. Tremendously.

Hope you find a bit of inspiration here.  :love5
#6 - February 28, 2016, 07:59 AM

First...Venessa:   :love5 :love5 :love5 :love5 :love5

When I was 23, I was struggling. With everything from money to life purpose to belief system to...........Except I had diversity in friends. Great friends. They helped so much with everything, but of course, not entirely. Not only was that impossible, that was my job.

One day sitting on the floor of my ancient tenement basement apartment in a baaaaad neighborhood in the DC area, I wrote the things I wanted/needed in the immediate future on a piece of scrap paper.

Twenty-odd years later I found that piece of paper. I'd forgotten all about it (and how it ever survived all my moves, I'll never know). Everything on that list had happened within several months of writing them down. None of them would have happened if not for friends, work friends, and some people I had yet to meet. (I never told anyone about the list.)

I'd carried guilt around during those twenty-odd years...I was uncertain if I'd shown enough gratitude and appreciation, guessed that I hadn't, yet there was no way to pay back all the various ways so many people helped, even if we all hadn't scattered and lost touch.

I found peace (not 100%) by realizing/practicing some things, including but not limited to: 1) take time each day to think of things and people for which and whom you are grateful; 2) life usually isn't tit-for-tat, so reciprocation may come in the form of simply paying things forward when you see a need, wherever on the planet that may be; 3) the universe is a strange and remarkable place...nothing good or bad lasts forever, the universe sees to that, and if not for the bad, we couldn't truly appreciate the good.

"And then...!"

These things actually helped resolve the struggle I'd had regarding my belief system.  :running :star2

#7 - February 28, 2016, 08:48 AM
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Einstein.

Those are beautiful stories! Thank you Venessa and Arona!
#8 - February 28, 2016, 09:02 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Arona, aww ... thanks!   :star2 :flowers2 :star2

I love your story. Writing a list that you find 20 years later is so cool! Sometimes, it's not about wishing or praying for what we want, but to be grateful for what we have.
#9 - February 28, 2016, 09:06 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Thank you, Venessa and Arona. Your experiences are beautiful and both of them are helpful to me today.  :star2
#10 - February 28, 2016, 09:11 AM

Dionna

Wonderful stories. And Arona, it seems you don't need to look outside of your own life's experience for the inspiration you seek.
#11 - February 28, 2016, 11:07 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Venessa, what a beautiful story. You're right in saying you two ladies saved each other.

Arona, how lovely to find that paper ... and what it has done for you.

Amanda, I've given this topic a lot of thought because I have a short story I've worked on and off for the past few years dealing with just this! In my own life I see a lot of prayers answered, just not in the way I thought they would be, and like Arona, I have developed a grateful heart.

Some stories, wishing for a friend and finding it in a puppy; wishing for piano lessons and then getting a job doing yardwork for an older couple who missed their own children and grandchildren -- they had a piano and loved for me to come and play and the job paid for the lessons. Wishing for sugar back in India and an old pen-pal of my mom's sending us a packet of things including sugar cubes (from Germany)! There are just so many things.

Vijaya
#12 - February 28, 2016, 11:25 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Love Vijaya's comment & all the stories people shared. I too have long thought about this issue. Especially on how one's dreams/goals alter over time and through experiences.

A wish ungranted may be just the perfect outcome, and in many ways may lead to a greater wish that was never foreseen.
#13 - February 28, 2016, 11:58 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Thank you Vijaya! Your stories are sweetly inspiring. Loved them. :love5
Koozoo, I like your comments about ungranted wishes. It's so true that sometimes what we wish for, isn't what's best for us, or vice-versa.

#14 - February 28, 2016, 01:55 PM

Members: