SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Any interest in a author/illustrator critique group?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
After reading the latest issue of SCBWI Insight I really want an author/illustrator critique group! This is something I've been mulling over for a while now. I belong to two writing critique groups & the Kidlit Illustration Critique Facebook page and I really enjoy them & value the feedback. However, I just wish I had a small group of author/illustrators who would be will to share whatever it is they are working on regularly. I don't know anyone in my area (I'm in NB Canada) so would be looking for an online group. I'm open to synchronous both asynchronous gatherings. However, I do want people who will participate regularly.
#1 - March 02, 2016, 04:30 AM
https://marlalesage.com/
PIRATE YEAR ROUND (Acorn Press, 2019)

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
 :yippee
Yes, Marla!
I was thinking of joining a writer/illustrator critique group after reading the SCBWI Insight too.
I live in NJ and online would work for me too.
I am working on a picture book dummy at the moment.
Hopefully, there will be a few more people interested in this idea.
Best,
Nancy
#2 - March 02, 2016, 04:37 PM
"You get in life what you have the courage to ask for." ~ Oprah

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Id also like to join this group, and being in the UK it would be online only.
#3 - March 03, 2016, 01:28 PM
www.joeywall.co.uk
@artjoeywall

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
  • SCBWI PAL
Hi- I am interested in possibly joining your critique group. I am a published author/illustrator (picture books) and find that creating in my studio (albeit awesome) can be solitary and would love the feedback and support of like minded talent : ) On-line would be great! how would that look? Would we skype? Cheers~ Rebecca
www.rebeccadickinson.com
#4 - March 03, 2016, 08:24 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Anyone have suggestions for how it would work? Skype, google hangout, wiggio? I'll have a look around over the next week to see what the options are. But if you have had a really great experience with a specific platform please pipe up.

A social group here on the Blueboard is an option too. No notifications and it's asynchronous.
#5 - March 04, 2016, 10:57 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
I've only ever been in a writing critique group which met in person.
#6 - March 05, 2016, 04:10 AM

Hi Folks,

I'd be interested in an online critique group for author/illustrators. I am an illustrator and first-time author working on my dummy book at the moment. It is my first endeavor so I'm excited to give and get some good constructive feedback. I don't know much about the different platforms as I've been loading up to various social media. I do have Google+ and will see if I can figure out how a "hangout" works.
Best,  Thomas
#7 - March 09, 2016, 04:38 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Hello!

I'm interested also, although my sharing of my work might not be as much as you'd like. I've been around for a long time and am getting older and slower but would be happy to show you what I've got and comment on other's work. I'm published but not recently. I've illustrated my own books (middle-grade) and two picture books by other authors. I've also written and illustrated two picture books published by the digital company, MeeGenius, which is now owned by HMH. I've got one finished dummy (unpublished) and am working on another. Please let me know when and how to join if you're still open.
#8 - March 09, 2016, 08:41 PM
Sheila Welch,  author/illustrator. Don't Call Me Marda, Waiting to Forget, Something in the Air, The Shadowed Unicorn, Little Prince Know-It-All

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I am interested, if you aren't already too full. I'm sure if you are attempting online video meetings you want to keep things small for bandwidth purposes. :)

I live in East PA. I am familiar with Hangouts and Skype. I've got two dummies I'm working on and I love the idea of critiquing my illustrations as well as my writing.
#9 - March 11, 2016, 08:51 PM
Janae

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Hello

Would love to join you and if you are already too full, I would welcome starting a new group.
I live in Menlo Park, CA and if ever there are enough of us in my area, maybe we can actually meet up!
#10 - March 12, 2016, 10:38 AM

Hello folks,
Just checking in to see if there are any updates to the status of this proposed critique group.

Thanks,
Thomas
#11 - March 30, 2016, 03:26 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I'm crazy busy... but still hoping to get something started ASAP. If anyone else wants to head one up that's ok too.
#12 - April 04, 2016, 04:07 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Hello,

I am interested in a critique group in or close to Menlo Park.
What times work for you guys?

- Alice
#13 - April 06, 2016, 08:27 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I've added a Social Group - Illustrators that Write.  I'm going to cap the number of members at 6 for now & see how it goes. I find that groups with clear rules for participation tend to last longer. Once the group is going we can adjust the "rules" as needed. To give you an idea of how I am envisioning the critique group working:

Critique week is the 4th week of every month.
To share what you are working on: post a new thread by Monday of critique week. MS can be cut and pasted into the thread, for illustrations you may prefer to post a google drive link - that is fine.
We have 7 full days to reply with our critiques.
You may share anything you want feedback on: a manuscript, thumbnails, storyboard, sketches, artwork, your portfolio, postcards, etc.
Please share something every month! Even if it is just a little note saying this is what I'm working on.
I will send a group email reminder the week before and the week of the critique.
It is understandable that you may not have time to participate each month. If you find that you can't continue your committment to the group that you inform the group so we can fill the spot with a new member.

Critique group members should be committed to both illustrating and writing; and be willing to share/critique on a monthly basis.

#14 - April 18, 2016, 04:51 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Hi!

Thanks for the update! My situation has changed, and I won't be able to participate in this group or any other on-line critique of work by author/illustrators. I'm in the process of getting ready to move from our old farmhouse  and ten acres to a two-bedroom duplex in a retirement-type facility. We've lived in this house for 30 years and raised seven children here, so it's going to take me a good bit of time to adjust before getting back into my creative work. Best wishes to  those who join this new, exciting adventure.
#15 - April 18, 2016, 05:36 AM
Sheila Welch,  author/illustrator. Don't Call Me Marda, Waiting to Forget, Something in the Air, The Shadowed Unicorn, Little Prince Know-It-All

I would really love to be part of it! I already participate in an online crit group but it's for writing only, so this would really add something of value on top of what I already do :) Are there any spaces left?
#16 - April 18, 2016, 05:38 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
So far it's just me! You should be able to request to join from the Social group page. Please let me know if it doesn't show up for you. It's the one with the typewriting chick for the cover image.
#17 - April 18, 2016, 05:59 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
 I'm still interested.
#18 - April 18, 2016, 06:19 AM

I can't find the group, am I just being a noob? XD
#19 - April 18, 2016, 06:21 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I don't see any way for me to add members. I've fiddled with the group settings. It only shows up for me in under My Groups. Perhaps it is waiting for approval by Blueboard Admins?  I will update the thread as soon as I figure it out.
#20 - April 18, 2016, 06:49 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Marla I had a look to see if I could help, but I don't even see your group, which I think as an admin I should be able to even if it is private? But maybe not. Make sure you have made the group requestable and not private. I don't think social groups require admin approval.

Be aware though that only SCBWI members have access to social groups, so if anyone views this thread and is not a SCBWI member they couldn't participate that way.
#21 - April 18, 2016, 07:53 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
Hi there. Found it! Count me in !
#22 - April 18, 2016, 10:43 AM

Marla - hi! I'm in the other group you're in "PB/Fiction & Non Critiques". I'd love to join this one. I've enjoyed bouncing ideas off of you but would love a group that is a little more consistent in participation.
#23 - April 18, 2016, 02:09 PM
Cynthia Stuker
Graphic Designer • Self Published Picture Book Author/Illustrator
www.CynthiaStuker.com

Also - I use google hangout at my day job successfully (marketing agency). I could see a blend being successful. Maybe a monthly hangout/skype/etc meetup (timezones get tricky here) with a freeform platform in between - such as the groups here (not idea, I never know when something new pops up) or through facebook maybe?
#24 - April 18, 2016, 02:34 PM
Cynthia Stuker
www.CynthiaStuker.com

I'm in but I can't find the group anywhere. Not even a search for "illustrators"
#25 - April 18, 2016, 03:41 PM

Hi, I am interested and would be seriously dedicated to participating in the critique group.
mallettedesign.com
#26 - April 18, 2016, 07:19 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Hi Marla,
I'm looking under social groups. I see 15 groups listed but not the one you've started. Can someone HELP me??
Thanks,
Nancy
#27 - April 18, 2016, 07:28 PM

Click on Marla's orangey-red name to the left. It takes you to her social groups, that's how I found it.
#28 - April 18, 2016, 07:59 PM
Cynthia Stuker
www.CynthiaStuker.com

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region hawaii
I'm interested in joining the group but am not sure I qualify. I'm an author but not an illustrator. If it doesn't matter sign me up (guess I'll have to figure out how to do that). Online is perfect since I'm on Maui. Time differences  might be a bit of a pain since we're six hours behind folks on the east coast.
#29 - April 18, 2016, 08:04 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
 :stars3
Thank you, Cynthia!
I just requested to join❗️
#30 - April 18, 2016, 08:50 PM

Members: