SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

The Great Courses: How to Publish Your Book

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I recently finished listening to HOW TO PUBLISH YOUR BOOK, a lecture series under THE GREAT COURSES.  I found it on Audible, and I have listened to it three times so far.   

Professor Jane Friedman delivers the lectures, and she does an outstanding job in educating about the publishing world.  The only drawback: She doesn't talk about publishing for children.  However, it is still an excellent listen and gives great insights into everything from queries to contracts.  I would recommend listening to it even if you've read countless books on publishing.

Professor Friedman is an excellent speaker, too.  She'll hold your attention. 

I would share a link to it, but I'm not sure if that's allowed here.  It runs 11.5 hours. 

I do not have any association to the publisher, the professor, or THE GREAT COURSES.  When I listened to it, I knew I had to share it with this group. 

PS:  In addition to this lecture series, THE GREAT COURSES series is definitely worth a look . . . or, should I say, listen.  The subjects offered are almost endless.  There's something there for everyone.   
#1 - March 22, 2016, 01:37 PM
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 06:48 AM by lee-bernstein »

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I don't know anything about The Great Courses, but Jane Friedman is awesome.  Her breadth of knowledge is phenomenal.  She lives in my city and she spoke to my local SCBWI a few years ago.
#2 - March 22, 2016, 04:09 PM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Admin Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
Hers is the only newsletter I actually pay to subscribe to.
#3 - March 22, 2016, 05:12 PM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
twitter @VonnaCarter

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I don't know anything about The Great Courses, but Jane Friedman is awesome.  Her breadth of knowledge is phenomenal.  She lives in my city and she spoke to my local SCBWI a few years ago.

How wonderful.  I would love to hear her in person!  After listening to the lecture series, I am now quite a fan. 
#4 - March 23, 2016, 06:34 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region indiana

Newsletter?  Thank you!  I'll look into that. 
#5 - March 23, 2016, 06:34 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region indiana

Update:  Never mind.  Found it!  http://hotsheetpub.com/

Original message:  Vonna -- I found her web page and subscribed to her daily blog, but I do not see anything about a paid subscription to a newsletter.  Might you have a link?  Thank you!
#6 - March 23, 2016, 06:47 AM
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 07:32 AM by lee-bernstein »

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Ha. I had the same question, Vonna. *off to follow Lee's link*
#7 - March 23, 2016, 08:51 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
The Hot Sheet has a group rate. Would SCBWI be interested in asking about it?
#8 - March 23, 2016, 10:16 AM

Chidren's Friendship Expert
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
The Great Courses has audio/video courses on every topic imaginable. They advertise that their courses are by "the world's greatest professors." Traditionally they've covered academic topics such as math, music appreciation, history, etc. Recently they've been doing a lot of courses on practical topics, including storytelling, ancestry, photography, drawing, cooking... They have the professors come for a video audition, and they only hire people who get high ratings on customer previews, so the lecturers are usually very good. The courses are available on Netflicks, Audible, and the company website.
I did a course for them that came out in late 2014, on children's feelings and friendships. It was the hardest writing project I ever did! My instructions were to include as much research as possible while making it entertaining yet practical.
#9 - April 04, 2016, 05:39 PM
Eileen Kennedy-Moore, PhD
author/psychologist
www.EileenKennedyMoore.com
www.GrowingFriendshipsBlog.com *For parents
www.DrFriendtastic.com *FOR KIDS!

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Update:  Never mind, Eileen.  I see you have a link to it in your signature.  I'm off to purchase it!

Original message: Eileen, I'd like to listen to your lecture series.  What is the exact title?  I'll look for it on Audible. 
#10 - April 05, 2016, 07:49 AM
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 08:03 AM by lee-bernstein »

Chidren's Friendship Expert
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Learning about child development is extremely useful for children's book writers (as well as parents)! I've given a presentation about that several times for NJ-SCBWI.
Here's an excellent quick reference guide (not written by me): Yardsticks by Chip Wood. (I don't think his mother named him that, hah hah!)
#11 - April 05, 2016, 08:18 AM
Eileen Kennedy-Moore, PhD
author/psychologist
www.EileenKennedyMoore.com
www.GrowingFriendshipsBlog.com *For parents
www.DrFriendtastic.com *FOR KIDS!

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Thanks for the recommendation.
#12 - April 05, 2016, 08:30 AM
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:22 PM by lee-bernstein »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
The Great Courses are absolutely fantastic! I had no idea they had one about publishing. Thanks for sharing!
#13 - April 05, 2016, 01:13 PM
Janae

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region indiana
My pleasure.  They have a whole series on writing.  The subjects span from how to write great sentences to how to write science fiction.  So far, Friedman's is my favorite, although I've yet to listen to all of them. 
#14 - April 06, 2016, 12:44 PM

Members: